Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after almost a month of trouble free cmaxing my problems are back again. Is there any tests you can do for the ECU or is it into fraud...? Same old symptons as before, engine system fault, steering assist failure, and reduced acceleration are all displayed. I could live with this if needed but it wont even crank and today it only went with a tow start.

Any ideas gratefully received...........

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I disconnected the battery and instrument panel overnight . Just connected them back up and tried it, all I get is the immobiliser light comes on for a few seconds then flashes and it wont crank. Is this an immobiliser fault and is there a way to bypass it?

Any help appreciated......

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been on to fords technical helpline and they reckon it may be the GEM module as the immobiliser is flashing once, then six times and so on. Apparently this means lack of communication.
I have had the module out and check all connections and cannot find anything amiss. I put it back in and no change...

·
Registered
206 Posts
These sorts of problems are very difficult to track down, as you're finding.

I had a similar problem last year, but it fixed itself after the techs examined all the wiring (though not before charging me £250 to replace a non-faulty sensor). I reckon in my case it was simply a dodgy connection and they inadvertently fixed it by removing and replacing a connector.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all, have car booked into Ford tomorrow after finally coming to the conclusion it needs to go on their diagnostic machine. Anyway decided to drop it off this evening so arranged a lift back. I bum p started it no problem as it will not crank due to the same old problem of engine system fault, reduced acceleration and steering assist fault. Drove the five mile to dealers and left it running whilst finding out where to leave it. Went back to car and thought "I will just try it". Well the bl"*%y thing started three times no problem but the engine management light was still on. Fourth time, you guessed - it light went out!

I am so P!"£$d off at the moment I may just trade it in..........

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, my local Evans Halshaw had the car for two days and cannot find any fault with it at all. I just dont know if i can trust it any more but will see how it goes. If it does happen again I am going to have it recovered straight to them without tow starting it. There was one consolation though, even though they had it for two days, as they could not find any fault they didn't charge me - At least I know I wasn't ripped off!!!
Well done Evans Halshaw (Glossop)

·
Registered
454 Posts
hi chris
even fords cannot test the ecu extensive enough to find your problem as they can only test sensor readings etc
like i said before i had the reduced acceleration problem and this fault is set when the ecu sees a difference with the two sensors within the throttle pedal!! my problem ended up being the instrument cluster as one sensor from the pedal is directly linked to the ecu via one wire this has one two connectors inline. and the other sensor goes to the instrument cluster and is then sent down theCAN system to the ecu.

like i say mine ended up being the instrument cluster!! this is also where the immobiliser information is stored too!!
can you obtain the fault codes from your last visit??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts