Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After recently buying my C-max, I have been advised to perform an ECU reset so the car can "learn" my driving style.

I've seen advice on how best to do this (see below) but was wondering if this is a good idea or not. I can't see any downside to it, but just wanted to check no-one had encountered any problems. I have the radio code so that's a plus!

The procedure I found to follow is :

1. Disconnect negative battery terminal and let the vehicle sit for 1 hour.

2. Reconnect the battery, start the car (don't even think of touching the gas!!).

3. Let it idle for at least ten to fifteen minutes.

4. Turn engine off, turn back on and go for a hard drive. Bounce it off
redline once or twice in 1st and 2nd. After that, a wide mix of driving
styles (fast, slow, medium, city and highway)

Does this sound about right?

Many Thanks
James

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
As far as I am aware the values in the ECU are all related to physical "fixed" values ie manifold pressure water temp engine speed fuel temp (from the many sensors on the vehicle) whuch should have the same relationship however the vehicle is driven. Thus there oight not to be any learning to be done (UNLESS SOMEONE knows different of course)

·
Registered
21 Posts
the tif says
1. disconnect ground terminal (i tried 2 hours n didnt work so all nighter)
2. PUT GROUND BACK ONTO BATTERY then start car and let it idle for 3 mins without touching anything
3. increase rpm to 1200 and maintain for a further 2 mins
4 drive approx 5 miles with different styles of driving ie fast slow etc

·
Registered
21 Posts
tried the reset but took out the positve batt terminal last night and left it off all night. my car engine had lost power completely and i was sh....g myself thinking the turbo had gone or i had messed up the maf sensor as i had tried taking the battery terminal out for 2 hours and it was still the same.... anyway took the positve terminal out all night and this morning put it back on the battery then let the car idle for 3 mins then increased the revs to 1200rpm for 2 mins then took it for a run and (even though the radio stations hadnt reverted to default) i noticed a HUGE improvement in everything - the car was actually accelerting again properly!! ive got hold of a ton of software now to reset codes remap ecu etc so will no have a tinker to see if i can get the best out of it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts