Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a newbie in these parts, so please be gentle

Having recently bought an 04 2.0 TDCI Ghia C-MAX, I am looking to improve MPG, which, as other people have found, is way off the projected 50MPG (combined) as advertised by Ford.

Does anyone have any experience of one of these (£99)? Will it do as is advertised, in particular, improve MPG?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diesel-Tuning-Performance-Chip-Ford-focus-C-Max-TDCI_W0QQitemZ110314381388QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item110314381388&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I have noticed MetalMickey is using a Tunit, but as nearly £500, this is a little out of my price range.

Thanks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hello again , you need to be carefull with this topic, the expensive tuning boxs do calculate various parameters and give good power returns and a little increase in mpg by carefully increaseing the pressure of the common rail. However the cheap boxes are little more than a transistor,diode and potentiometer which just magnifies the ecu signal and increases common rail pressure massively or tricks the ecu into thinking the engine is cold (more fuel). I had an expensive box on one of my previous cars and it worked well. IMO try to change your driving style the 2.0tdci certainly has enough power for most I regularly give mine a thrash and still get 35 around town and high 40s on a run. Hope this helps

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thanks lazyb. I think I will give this a miss. I certainly have to relearn my driving style that's for sure, having upgraded from my humble 1.25lt 9 year old fiesta! I'm travelling to Liverpool (from Rotherham) tomorrow so I am looking forward to seeing what MPG I get, as well as stretching it's legs properly for the first time since purchase!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I know the Tunit`s expensive,but I feel it`s worth the money.It`s good to be able to adjust the amount of `tune up` yourself.I have mine set on 7 now & get 42+ round town & up to 60 on a run.
.Be very careful of cheaper versions as the can bugger up the ecu.
.I`m very pleased with the Tunit and if it`s affordable to anyone,it`s well worth it.
Cheers
MM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi MetalMicky08,

I have had my C-Max for just under a week and love it so far. I too am still learning to adjust my driving style and due to the xmas hols have yet to see what MPG it will return on an average week of commuting up and down the motorway. Currently I am getting 35-39 round town. I must admit I have been using the power :eek:).

My question for you is... What kind of performance gains can be acheived with the Tuneit? Did I read in one of your post that at the highest setting 200bhp is possible or was I just dreaming? What would the gain be at the lowest setting, then mid and finally at max?

I am seriously considering the more expensive Tuneit over the cheaper versions as it is adjustable. I also inten to fit a K&N this week.

I look forward to your response, Thanks in advance.

Martin.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Setting it on low (1) would only take it to say 145,mid would be 170.I have a K & N air filter too and it does give about 5 bhp more.I know it`s not much but it does help the engine to `breath` better.With my Tunit,I now have it on 7 & that`s plenty for round town.As I got the car used it did not come with traction so I do have to be careful in damp/wet conditions as torque steer is Very prominant.The main gain of the Tunit is when set to 9 (high) & I`m on a motorway.Say I was doing 60 in 6th,I only have to `brush the accel pedal & the in gear take off is brilliant.I have just come back from down south & had it turned up to 9 & even at 80 mph I was getting 58mpg.The Tunit can be set up by an insaller for you & they use a laptop to tune it to your sprcific requirments,although they do charge for this but I don`t know the cost but I`d think it would be costly - ish.Hope all this helps you.
MM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks MM,

I think I have just been convinced that its worth paying the extra for the Tunit over the cheaper versions. I have experience of K&N's from previous motors and my bikes so I know they make a difference. Ultimately I want to get the absolute max MPG from my C-Max and also have the ability to blast it from time to time. I think like you I will use it as it comes and not bother with the set-up.

Your reply as indeed been very helpful and I would like to say thanks very much.

One more question, where did you get it from? was it direct from Tunit?

Martin.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You could always get the car remapped, around £300.
A k&n panel filterwill make very little on its own, but if you intend on getting a chip/remap and a free flowing exhaust then a panel filter will be of more benefit.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Yes,I ordered straight from Tunit.It was delivered in 5 days.There are fitting instructions & some pics (probably the ones I sent them!).If you get one & have any trouble fitting it,pm me & I can then call you & talk you through it.It took me under 10 mins.

MM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Rob_82,

Thanks for your reply. I dont actually want to make any permanent changes to the ECU as the car is still under warranty.

Cheers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi MM,

My K&N arrived this week and I fitted it this weekend. The first initial impression was that the car idles more smoothly and it wants to go a little more too. That is hardly supprising given that the filter it replaced was totaly black and real clogged. Even though there are more service stamps in the book than there should be due to reduced service intervals by the previous owner, I find it hard to beleive that the filter was changed lately.

I have seen the Chip Express ones on ebay at £395. They seem to be very much the same as the tunit and are fully adjustable too. I am saving the penny's and will have either one soon enough...

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I wouldn`t go down that route as once you have messed about inside the ecu,all sorts of probs can crop up.At least with the Tunit,you can take it off & if you get a newer car with similar engine (check their site) you can transfer it,& I don`t mean just frauds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi MM,

I think you may have mis-understood me. I am taking your advice and opting for the plug and play type. The Chip Express module is very similar if not identical to the Tunit you have. It works on exactly the same method too, not just a few diodes etc like the cheap ones.

I would never even consider going down the route of altering the std ECU.

Here is a link to the one I have seen...

http://www.chipexpress.com/

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250351014285

I would be interested to know what your thoughts are...

Once again thanks for your help and advise.

Martin

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I know what your on about,I was refering to the post by Rob.In my view,unless you really know what your are doing,leave ecu alone.I realise you had no intention of going this way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts