Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me if the answer to my questionsare obvious but I'm not very electrical/mechanical minded. Ihave a petrol C-Max Zetec ona 53 plate.

For the past month or so now, whenever I start the engine the electrics don't work for approx 10 sec or so i.e. no radio, no reverse light. After the initial delay it all works fine I'm just puzzled as to the delay I have. Is there a simple explaination for this??

Also for the past year or so my cigarette lighter hasn't worked. The lighter doesn't stay down, is this a common problem??

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
The electrics must be working to a na extent or else it would not start at all

do the panel lights come on when you start it and
do any of the electrics work when you just turn the key to the aceesory position or even to the run position (don't attempt to start it)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. The panel lights only come on after the delay.
2. The electrics do work in the run position (if thats the 2nd position) but again only after this delay.

Thanks for your help so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh and I've checked the fuse for the lighter, it appears to be ok. Could there be a different fuse that could also affect this, or is it a case of pulling each fuse out and checking.
Come to think of it, in my fuse box I dont have a fuse in every position, is this normal?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
For it to keep starting the alternator should be working properly and keeping the battery charged. and the ignition feed to the starting system must be working

Just to rule out battery / alternator are you able to check battery voltage when you have all the lights on and running at about 2500 rpm (should be about 14.5v)

I'm wondering if ther is an ignition fed relay or the earth to such that is causing these problems but i've no idea where to start because it may be an intermittent fault given that you say everything seems to be OK after the initial delay

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I too had several fuses missing so I got some from the local auto shop & put them in.Not had any problems by doing so & that was over 12 months ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts