Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my C-max now for nearly a year and I think it is a great Car, however I keep finding new Secrets! Under the dash I found a socket which I believe to be a connection for Ford Dealers to connect to their Main Computer and to extract MONEY from us, I presume to Fault Find If so, How can we, the end user utilise this function and save some MONEY?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's called an OBD port and you can buy readers off ebay quite cheaply. It tells you Diagnostic Trouble Codes and you can then search for them on Google for their meaning. Whether or not they are accurate is up to you to determine.

It also allows Ford to connect their computers for programming the electronic modules on the car but you will need to go to a dealer as they are a dealership only item.

Every major manufacturer uses this system now it's not a Ford specific thing....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Gepard, Thanks again, would item resolve my Key Fob problem? Give me a Car with the old "Ignition Switch and Starting Handle" and I can buy a Padlock, chain and Sea Anchor

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
A code reader might tell you if there is a fault in the car`s electrics but it will not clear or repair the fault.Are there any locksmiths near you? Maybe they could give you some advice without going to a rip off centre.Just a thought & he might even solve your problem.
MM

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
With all respect stop being tight and get it to a dealer.

They only charged me 87quid to diagnose and fix all the electrical problems with my car and you can then decide if you want them to fix it. If it's mechanical then by all means try your local independent but electrical....no....you can cause more damage plugging in cheap readers from China. Add to that most electrical modules are setup for your specific vehicle so you'll need to go there anyway to have it fixed.

To be honest if the only problem is this key fob problem then do as I said and get a new key fob and try that first as I reckon it'll solve your problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Gepard, Having taken on board all what you have to say and checking other sites, the consences of opinion appears to be that I should try re-programing the fob as described on page 37 of the user hand book. Not Tight but Shrewed maybe, wise certainly!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Gepard, Metalmicky and all those who have the same symtoms with their Key Fob as I did. This afternoon I took great courage and with my user handbook at page 37 sat in my car and re-programmed my key fob EUREKA! All appears to be working okay now. There is moral here before you go to the Rip-off Cetre

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Out of interest I went to Fords this morning to check out my Fob and at no cost. The point here I am making they have the equipment to measure the output of the flob e.t.c. and he also told me one of my button,s was down a bit in performance. Read what you will but at least he did not try to "flog me a new flob". There is still out there some honest people!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Blimey,good service from a fraud dealer?
If you went to the one by me,they`d probably try to charge you to park,even if it was in for some work.
MM

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
MM08 is that from experience? I've known alot of people to sl*g off dealers just because they've had the one quote they don't like and nothing puts potential C-Maxers off quicker than hearing about dealerships ripping you off. If they've wronged you then fair enough but you don't even need to get your car serviced at a delaership now to keep the warranty intact.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to make a point and add interest in motoring cost, I have just paid £35 for a Oil and filter change at my Local Garage , £20 oil £10 filter and £5 for oil reclaimation. Even if I did it myself I do not think I would save much and I do not have a Ramp! This I think is very fare considering a Service is "Check this, look at this and Top up" assuming they do it , In my case I was watching in "Viewing area". I am not saying my Local Ford Garage would do this on the contrary I think they are Great always helpful, cheerful and go the extra mile. I just wish they could be more competitively priced, £130 for New Remote Key, £170 for New Wiper. The mind Boggles!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
If you look at spare parts for anything they are allways a lot more than the actual cost of the parts. Not trying to justify it but just noting that everyone including vehicle dealers do it

A change of thinkung needed URGENTLY for all the accountants in UK business

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Iused the local fraud dealer just after I got my C-Max (used) they told me it needed new discs,pads front tyres & new wipers.They also dented the tailgate.When my wife collected it,she did not notice the dent as the car was reversed into a space.I saw the dent ,rang them & went straight back.They denied it and said it was either like that when it came it (no it was not) or it was damaged by my wife on the way home (I was following her).
They have since over quoted me for several parts which I have got cheaper from another dealership.
MM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts