Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing my pollen filter which requires removing the passenger foot well fusebox,
I unplugged the connectors and completely removed the fusebox for examination.
What I found was bad corrosion due to moisture around some terminals.
One terminal was rotten and may explain the reason for an intermittent car alarm.
I purchased a 2nd hand similar fusebox in order to swap over the affected terminals.
I photographed the fuse positions in order to remove the boards.
An earthing wrist strap was worn to prevent static zaps from handling and damaging some serious electronics on the gem module piggyback board.

The corrosion was thoroughly cleaned pins and sockets.
A toothpick bristle brush along with switch cleaning spray was ideal for cleaning the sockets.
Everything was put back and the problem alarm was silenced.

Regards
Mr Rugby

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sound like you did a good job there well done. But that's unusual for that to be corroded there must be a little water ingress somewhere maybe the windscreen has been replaced in the past and not sealed properly I think I would cover it with some plastic maybe fabricate a plastic container of the right size to prevent it happening again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2006 CMAX 2.0 TDCI - Just had a corroded inside fuse box diagnosed by the AA, his theory was that water “tracks” down the wires. In my case the immobiliser was stuck on and it wouldn’t start. The ODB could not communicate with any modules. Mr AA had seen it before, he have fuse box terminals a good doing with contact spray and a brush - bingo it turned over and started straight off.
None of the forum threads for immobiliser faults mentioned this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts