Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a shock when topping up the winter screen wash - noticed the coolant level was barely visible at the bottom of the expansion tank. Got a bigger shock when investigation as to where the coolant had gone lead me too peeling back the driver's foot mat only to find a puddle of what could only be the coolant I had been searching for. Car is now being looked at by the garage I bought it from. Pressure check hasn't proven any leaks, they are going to start stripping down the dash to get a look at the heater matrix. I thought leaking heater pipes inside cars were back in bad old days... Only had the car since November, just hope this isn't a sign of things to come... Anyone else had similar issues with this model?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I would have thought you would have smelt it and notice the car steaming up before anything else.

Are you 100% sure its coolant in the footwell? Water leaks and air con condensate leaks are common issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought you would have smelt it and notice the car steaming up before anything else.

Are you 100% sure its coolant in the footwell? Water leaks and air con condensate leaks are common issues.
99% certain, smells like coolant and has the same 'feel' to it if that makes sense? ( I managed to soak enough of it into a towel and wrung it out into a bowl to have closer inspection). Compared it to the dot 4 I have in the shed and I'm all but certain it's the same stuff I'm looking at...

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
Gotta be a lose pipe somewhere.
Most common is the air con or ingress from the cowl due to the drain holes being blocked.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Issue is with a rubber seal which has perished joining pipes at the heater matrix. Apparently this rubber seal doesn't come supplied on its own, full heater matrix needs to be swapped out. Big job with stripping the dash out etc. Glad I'm not picking the tab up with this one. Surely this isn't a common fault? Hope a workshop manual is released for this model soon, think I'm going to be needing it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi all,

Currently going through a time of it with the dealer I bought my Cmax from (Vauxhall Dealership). Original fault was with the heater matrix which was replaced with a new unit. Noticed that after repairs were carried out the dual climate control wasn't holding a constant temperature e.g. blowing out cold air passenger side / hot air passenger side and vice versa. They have since sent the car to a Ford dealership to have diagnostics looked at and came back to me with "it needs an new heater box" (vague description I know).

Does anyone know what the heater box they are referring to might be? Obviously it is linked to maintaining the temperature in the cabin, however if the dealer is palming me off and it is still the heater matrix that is gubbed I'll be looking to reject the car as they have already had a go at putting things right...

Any info greatly appreciated.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Heater box means "it's something in that area but we're not 100% sure and another garage is paying so we'll change the lot".

Could mean heater matrix, air con matrix, enclosure and flaps that are attached to it. If the air was varying in temperature I would suspect an air lock but then I'm not a Ford technician!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi - I have the same issue of some coolant in the drivers footwell.

What is the part number of the o-ring and clip that you can replace ?

Do these need to be replaced by removing some trim under the footwell ?

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After only 10 months since having the heater matrix replaced due to leaking seals, I noticed that my 2012 cmax is again bleeding out coolant into the cabin (driver footwell). It's booked back into the Ford dealership who carried out the repair the last time.

I've really lost any faith that remained in the reliability of this car. Just as well the dealership has fessed up to giving me gratis 2years extended warranty with the remainder of my ownership.

I was really considering a Mondeo or Fiesta ST in the future, however this repeated issue, along with recent appearance of tin worm at the rear arches, has confirmed it for me that the cmax will be my first and last Ford.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning.
Have 2012 C.Max 1.6. same issue with leaking water and coolant in driver footwell. What sizenrubber O rings and clips are required? Same as focus as when searched said Not compatible with vehicle and Ford not interested as want to replace the entire cooling system. Thanks for assistance..My first post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning.
Have 2012 C.Max 1.6. same issue with leaking water and coolant in driver footwell. What sizenrubber O rings and clips are required? Same as focus as when searched said Not compatible with vehicle and Ford not interested as want to replace the entire cooling system. Thanks for assistance..My first post.
I have just joined. I too have discovered that I must have a coolant leak, which announced itself on the display on arrival at work this morning. Booked into TrustFord, I'll see what they say.

I noticed that my mat was partially waterlogged. and I thought it might have been down to the wet weather we had a few weeks ago, but it must be coolant, mixed with all the detritus that carpets pick up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good morning.
I have just joined. I too have discovered that I must have a coolant leak, which announced itself on the display on arrival at work this morning. Booked into TrustFord, I'll see what they say.

I noticed that my mat was partially waterlogged. and I thought it might have been down to the wet weather we had a few weeks ago, but it must be coolant, mixed with all the detritus that carpets pick up.

** UPDATE**

Took my car to the Ford garage today and nearly had a fit when they told me the price for a new heater matrix - £935!!!

Needless to say that I am getting a second opinion from the garage that I used to take my old Mondeo and Vectra to. As soon as I spoke to the boss of that garage (Cabot Motors in Bristol, who I whole-heartedly recommend), he said the problem could be the seals. So I'm taking it to them on Monday for a quote. I was a customer there for several years (only changed due to much newer car and TrustFord service plan), and the boss remembered servicing my old Metro 20+ years ago at a previous garage

·
Registered
1 Posts

** UPDATE**

Took my car to the Ford garage today and nearly had a fit when they told me the price for a new heater matrix - £935!!!

Needless to say that I am getting a second opinion from the garage that I used to take my old Mondeo and Vectra to. As soon as I spoke to the boss of that garage (Cabot Motors in Bristol, who I whole-heartedly recommend), he said the problem could be the seals. So I'm taking it to them on Monday for a quote. I was a customer there for several years (only changed due to much newer car and TrustFord service plan), and the boss remembered servicing my old Metro 20+ years ago at a previous garage
Hi we have developed exactly the same problem!! Did your local garage have any luck with replacing the seals?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem, well I think two different ones in quick succession! First all the coolant vanished, took it to garage who detected issue with water pump and replaced that. Then coolant vanished again, only this time I found it in drivers footwell. One of the mechanics at my preferred garage used to work for ford, so knew of the perishing seals. All replaced and so far (touch wood) no more leaks. Still trying to get rid of the coolant from drivers footwell though, that foam layer under the carpet holds a lot of fluid!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem. The plastic clip that holds the 2 pipe ends together is available from Ford main Dealer for £4.01 but I can't find a part number for the rubber seals. I'm going to try lining the clip with Silicon Gasket Seal and then clipping it on to see if that works.

If that doesn't work I'll be using a hack saw to cut the join out entirely and replacing it with radiator hose and jubilee clips.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. The plastic clip that holds the 2 pipe ends together is available from Ford main Dealer for £4.01 but I can't find a part number for the rubber seals. I'm going to try lining the clip with Silicon Gasket Seal and then clipping it on to see if that works.

If that doesn't work I'll be using a hack saw to cut the join out entirely and replacing it with radiator hose and jubilee clips.
I’m having same issue with loss of coolant and wet footwell. Can you tell me where to locate this leaking pipe please?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts