Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 1.6TDCi Auto has suffered from intermittant power loss for the last 5 years. Sometimes the car goes into limp mode and at other times complete shut down, without warning and usually with no warning message.During the last 2 years I have had the following new parts fitted. 2 EGR valves, 3 Brake light switches, 2 Fuel Gauge sensors, an MAP sensor, a Breather pipe, an ECU, an Air flow meter, an Oil pressure sensor, a Missing gasket. a Fuel pump, and a Battery. I have lost power in heavy traffic, in the fast lane of motorways on 3 occasions, narrowly avoiding very serious accidents and on 15 other occasions. I have completely lost faith in the car and suspect that the underlying problem has not been resolved. Can anyone suggest a remedy apart from setting alight to car? PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Geta new car.

What most people don't realise is that the C-Max had alot of 'firsts'. The old ones were either very prone to having faults or none at all. It's because of this that the car gets alot of complaints about being unreliable when actually they're not as bad as you'ld think.

If you were to get a newer one you'ld find it's fabulous car to drive and own. I should know - I've got two!

Flog it and get a newer model.

I'm selling my 54 1.6TDCi soon as I've bought a new one. If you'ld be interested?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Have you had the turbo solenoid valve replaced?If not that could be the problem.I replaced my egr a few weeks ago & it`s ok now,but a good mechanic mate of mine said the tsv would also cause power loss.It was next on my list if the egr swap failed.
Good luck
MM

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I think the most unfortunate part is that it is the auto which did seem to give a lot more problems than others

Our 54 1.6TDCI in manualhas Ok except a recent alternator failure

As related to the turbo solenoid does the i.6 have one with it being a variable vane turbo controlled by vacuum

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hughes,

My sympathies. I had a 2004 CVT auto for 18 months and experienced the same problems. Ford main dealer looked at it 15 times and replaced some of the same parts you've had replaced. None of the fixes lasted more than a couple of weeks. EGR valve lasted the longest - about 3 months before the problems got too bad.

Ford Customer Relations got involved - but just blamed the dealer. Dealer blamed Ford for lack of support at one stage - but once Customer Relations got involved they just kept saying "we've fixed it" - even when they hadn't.

The last straw came when the thing went faulty driving off the forecourt after the dealer had my car for a week. I sold the car - at considerable loss - and bought a Skoda Roomster automatic - which has run flawlessly for nine months and counting.

Ford have chosen not to find a cure for the C-Max CVT problems- due to the small number of customers involved. Their decision - but as a result of my experienceI'll never buy a Ford again after having nothing else for 15 years - and I advise you to do the same.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would concur with the other advice - trade it in and get something else - the CVT cars appear to be money pits and you could be looking at £4k from Ford for a new CVT if that's the root cause, or £1.5-£2k for a rebuild.

Crankshaft or camshaft position sensors could also cause the shutdowns (happened to me), but should produce an obvious error code that a competent dealer should spot. And to be honest another part on many Fords that frequently is unreliable is the dealer. Are you sure you're using a good one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the recent interest in my problems. Since my last posting I have taken the dealer to court under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 ( As Ammended ) and they settled out of court for £3000-00. This will go some way to compensate and I managed to do it all without legal assistance, through the Small Claims Court.

Hughes936

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Great news,well done.Real shame you had to go through all the agro through no fault of yours
Cheers
MM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts