Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right where to start ?
I have a C Max 1.8 titanium diesel 2007 47000 miles on the clock, just after we bought the car 18 months ago, my wife complained the car would loose power and she would have to stop the car turn off the ignition and restart it, No warnings lights, nothing just dies, doesnt cut out , like limp mode ?
then it would be fine for a couple of days, it would do this 3-4 times a week.
It got to the stage where she would turn the ignition off then on again whilst coasting at 50mph:eek: to sort it
took it to Ford, who put diagnostics on it, no errors found, so nothing wrong with it ! Fords answer to everything ?
Got a mate who is a mechanic to check with his computer and found out there was an update on the ECU, Contacted Ford who wanted £95 to do the update, got it done, and the power loss didn't stop, it got better as we didnt have to stop and restart the car now, just ease of the pedal for 3-4 seconds and it would be ok again.
This has been going on for the last 6 months, well Saturday the wife broke down in the car, loss of power and it then wouldnt start.
Called the AA out they couldn't find any errors on the diagnostics either, it started after resting for 10 mins, he towed her to Ford garage and she got hire car all weekend til yesterday.
Ford Couldnt find anything wrong with it and we picked it up yesterday drove it home fine !
Today on way home from work car lost power twice again.
Ford have asked to have the car for a couple of days at the end of the month, so they can drive it themselves and see the loss of power ?
Anybody else ever had this problem or is it just mine !

·
Registered
62 Posts
We have a similar problem with our 1.6tdci. Loss of power, unable to rev the car above 3k rpm and no codes stored.
BUT, if you stick code reader in whilst the power loss is still happening (before turning key off and on) we get an P0238 which is a boost pressure sensor fault.
We've lived with this problem for over a year, as it happens rarley, and have changed boost sensor, cleaned turbo, blanked egr, remap, changed cam sensor and maf sensor. I think it may be the map sensor wiring harness that is at fault but havn't got round to checking yet.
What I have discovered is if you use a code reader to erase the p0238 code whilst driving, power returns and car drives as per normal.
This may not help your issue but could point in right direction?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

Today i had a complete loss of power at 70mph on a dual carriageway, and engine had cut out. Had to pull over and stop on hard shoulder but car would not start up again. It would turn over but not fire.

I got recovered and the car is now with Fords to discover the fault. The car is a 57PLATE 1.8tdci, only had it 6 weeks.

I only hope that Ford do discover the fault.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem, car had done 2000mls from new,engine cut out ,turned over but would not fire. Had to have new fuel pump ,touch wood had no trouble since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The garage have told me that the fuel filter was blocked, so have replaced this as the diagnostics test showed up a lack of fuel pressure.
They have also informed me that a wiring loom to the glow plugs was badly burned so could also be providing a loss of power, so will replace also.

As i have little knowledge of cars, i could well be being ripped off here, but as they are still working on the car i dont have it back yet, i dont know whether this has cured the problem yet. I am hoping it has.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
C max loss of power

Apparently when you get this the computer will make the car go into limp mode -not nice when you climb a hill, Causes.... there are several maybees. Mine a 07 1.8 TDCI Titanium 104000 miles had this about beginning of 2013 no engine light & codes came up so had a new EGR -still had problem. Sent it to Fords ... what a waste of time, their policy: no engine light so cant find a code. no code -can't tell what the cause is. Can't then spend time to mess about trying to find one of several possibilities which could take a long time. Big bucks.
I then took it to a local guy who was prepared to look into it. He did several cures over 2 months. Didn't do it every day though. First did a Smoke test then cleaned out blocked Cat (there is no DPF on this car) then reset timing which was out, with new tappet shims & belt tensioner & T/belt. New sensors to MAF & Turbo pressure. Checked out Turbo & injectors both ok. Had to lower Turbo overboost -found fuel pressure problem... fitted new fuel filter & canister & cured several leaks downline and £700 that cost but it now has a new lease of life fingers crossed. Now for MOT soon

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ford can't find my boost leak it's driving me nuts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Loss of pwer - again

Amazingly thw same thing happened again to me a few weeks back. Car cut out, wouldnt start. Got recovered back to Fords who couldnt find any fault, as for them the car started fine. As fuel filter had been changed when this happened previously they didnt want to do this again. They believe i am picking up some dirt from the fuel tank as it was running low and this had blocked the fule filter.
Not great as i am just waiting for it to happen again.

Does anyone know what this may be and the solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When it was recovered it was towed back to the garage. Why it would start then, and not when it first cut-out, i have no idea. THey said the diagnostics test showed nothing wrong!!
Maybe it is the fuel pump as a previous poster suggested?

·
Premium Member
2,423 Posts
There is a Fuel Line Vacuum Device which can be purchased on eBay.
This attaches after the Fuel Filter & is used to prime the Filter prior to its renewal.
Instructions can be found elsewhere.
I would try this at various points along the line to remove the dirt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
C max loss of power

Apparently when you get this the computer will make the car go into limp mode -not nice when you climb a hill, Causes.... there are several maybees. Mine a 07 1.8 TDCI Titanium 104000 miles had this about beginning of 2013 no engine light & codes came up so had a new EGR -still had problem. Sent it to Fords ... what a waste of time, their policy: no engine light so cant find a code. no code -can't tell what the cause is. Can't then spend time to mess about trying to find one of several possibilities which could take a long time. Big bucks.
I then took it to a local guy who was prepared to look into it. He did several cures over 2 months. Didn't do it every day though. First did a Smoke test then cleaned out blocked Cat (there is no DPF on this car) then reset timing which was out, with new tappet shims & belt tensioner & T/belt. New sensors to MAF & Turbo pressure. Checked out Turbo & injectors both ok. Had to lower Turbo overboost -found fuel pressure problem... fitted new fuel filter & canister & cured several leaks downline and £700 that cost but it now has a new lease of life fingers crossed. Now for MOT soon
I broken down yesterday

1 - 18 of 18 Posts