Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just purchased a 1.8lx cmax petrol with 34k onthe clock 2004 reg.does anyone know if it has a timing belt or chain...thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
In answer to your question...... I would imaging the LX is the same engine.

Below is a question/answer that was left on Jennings Ford service department web site.

QuestionI have en early 2004 1.8 Petrol engine C-Max Ghia (120) can you tell me if the car as a cambelt or a timing chain? Also if it is a cambelt when does it have to be replaced.AnswerCan belt and it should be replaced at 100000 miles or 10 years

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hi, All the Petrols have Chain, unless it is a new 1.6 VVT ( Belt ).
All Diesels have Cambelts, the 1.8 and the 2.0 are just greedy, they have both!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have 1.8lx petrol when i lock the doors with the key fob the lights on the radio stay on and also the lights were it tells you the mileage.is this normal will they go out after a set time?????????????

·
Registered
12 Posts
billy1975 said:
i have 1.8lx petrol when i lock the doors with the key fob the lights on the radio stay on and also the lights were it tells you the mileage.is this normal will they go out after a set time?????????????
SNAP!!! I got the car home and noticed the same thing. I kept an eye on it and eventually the lights on the stereo and odometer/trip computer did switch off eventually, though cant say exactly how long it was. Perhaps 10-15 mins? At anyrate the lights should switch off.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
A slight boo boo on my part ( sorry! )
All Focus/C Max Diesels have cambelts, all Petrols have chain except the 1.6, both VVT and non VVT.
a couple of the diesels are blessed with both Cambelt and Chain (2.0 & 1.8).

Can a Mod make this a sticky please, seems every other week someone asks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Another boo boo, that should read mk 2 Focus petrol have chain except the 1.6, all mk 1 Focus have Cambelts, both petrol and Diesel!
Sorry for the confusion ( must be the near fatal Man flu ).

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
mattbourne said:
My dealer told me my '08 1.8 petrol has a cambelt, only 2.0 petrol has a chain?!?!?
Does the Engine cover say "Duratec HE"? if so its the Mk3 mondeos Engine from Mazda and has a chain.
Only the Mk1 Focus petrols have Cambelts, all Mk2 and C-Max petrols EXCEPT the 1.6 have chain!

·
Registered
97 Posts
would I be right in thinking that my 2006 1.6 c-max zetecpetrol has a timing belt? what is the service interval for the belt?

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
kevmond said:
Duff said:
would I be right in thinking that my 2006 1.6 c-max zetecpetrol has a timing belt? what is the service interval for the belt?

thanks
1.6 Petrol has a Belt, I think the Interval is 100K miles.
Although the belt change is indeed 100k, it is not unheard of for the cam belt tensioner to fail before this and cause pretty severe engine damage.

If it is the tensioner which fails, Ford do not want to know and repair is down to the owner.

Therefore most Focus owners are getting the belt and tensioner changed somewhere in the region of 70k to 80k miles or 5 years (whichever occurs first).

Pete

·
Registered
23 Posts
My son bought a 1.6 tdci c max from a car sales supermarket , and was told it had a timing chain , but now the ford dealer tells hi it has a belt

1 - 20 of 55 Posts