Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

What a great and helpful site!

I've just bought my first cmax - 2009 auto and am after some advice.

Days after buying burst a tyre (pothole) and realised it doesn't have a spare tyre.

Long story short I want to get a wheel saver as I feel it's better than the kit.

Apologies for the stupid questions but I am a woman who knows v little about cars (but trying to learn. My current tyres are 17".
  • Am I okay getting a 16" one?
  • Do I need to get a 205/ (which my new one is?)
  • I know I need to get one with 5 studs. Do I need a wheel nut or will the wheel nut that came with my car do the job?
Advice greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Suze

·
Registered
329 Posts
You may be better getting a space saver tyre and wheel as it will fit the tyre well. Definitely 5 studs but the existing wheel nuts should be ok. You will also need a jack and wheel brace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for your prompt reply. Got a jack and wheel brace which is good.

Do you think it'd be ok if I went for a 16" even though my current tyre is 17"?
Suze

·
Registered
392 Posts
Personally I would get a 17 if it will fit in the well if you have to have a 16 keep speed very low 30 ish when fitted and only to the nearest garage, also if you have a steel wheel spare you need steel wheel nuts for it and not the alloy wheel nuts.

·
Registered
329 Posts
A space saver
Personally I would get a 17 if it will fit in the well if you have to have a 16 keep speed very low 30 ish when fitted and only to the nearest garage, also if you have a steel wheel spare you need steel wheel nuts for it and not the alloy wheel nuts.
[/QUO
My wheel studs for my 17 inch alloys also fit my steel space saver. I know some dont so best to check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The space savers are nominally 16" and narro to fit in the well but the actual rolling diameter for the 16" and 17" are basically the same. The larger diameter wheels have lower profile tyres. One place you can get a spare is ebay C-Max Car Spare Wheels for sale | eBay

I have a 2017 C-Max with a space saver spare. The speed limit with the saver on is 50 mph and its only intended for short distances - 50 miles or so. The repair kits are useless so its worth having, I needed to use my spare in the middle of wales and it got me to 30 miles to the nearest tyre dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The space savers are nominally 16" and narro to fit in the well but the actual rolling diameter for the 16" and 17" are basically the same. The larger diameter wheels have lower profile tyres. One place you can get a spare is ebay C-Max Car Spare Wheels for sale | eBay

I have a 2017 C-Max with a space saver spare. The speed limit with the saver on is 50 mph and its only intended for short distances - 50 miles or so. The repair kits are useless so its worth having, I needed to use my spare in the middle of wales and it got me to 30 miles to the nearest tyre dealer.
Thanks for your help - this was my problem and I broke down on the middle of nowhere in Cornwall. Limped to a garage and damaged the inner wheel.
So you think 16" is sufficient to fit in the well and at least get me safely to a garage?

·
Registered
329 Posts
A spare wheel will protrude into the boot and you need packers to lift the carpet. I made a simple wooden frame 40 mm high for a space saver. A full size spare will occupy more space but the boot is still quite big.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts