Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to the forum and come already with a problem:

I drive a Cmax 1.6 TDCI Titanium X, 13 plate, 7000 miles on the clock.
At 4K the engine started to make a noise like a "coffee grinder" in the 1500- 2000 rpm range. The "rattle/grinding" is worse when the engine is cold. The noise is present in all gears. Since yesterday I hear a "ticking" noise when I take my foot of the accelerator in 3rd gear.

Two visits to separate Ford dealers were unsuccessful. Both said the engine noise was normal for a Diesel. One Garage updated the Software.

I am very nervous as my previous Cmax had the clutch and DMF replaced at only 24K. The faulty clutch broke the synchromesh of the first gear. This was repaired under warranty but I had to pay £600+ for the clutch as these items are not coverd under Ford warranty.

Has anybody had a similar problem?

Any comments are appreciated

Many thanks

Jo

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Hi,

I am new to the forum and come already with a problem:

I drive a Cmax 1.6 TDCI Titanium X, 13 plate, 7000 miles on the clock.
At 4K the engine started to make a noise like a "coffee grinder" in the 1500- 2000 rpm range. The "rattle/grinding" is worse when the engine is cold. The noise is present in all gears. Since yesterday I hear a "ticking" noise when I take my foot of the accelerator in 3rd gear.

Two visits to separate Ford dealers were unsuccessful. Both said the engine noise was normal for a Diesel. One Garage updated the Software.

I am very nervous as my previous Cmax had the clutch and DMF replaced at only 24K. The faulty clutch broke the synchromesh of the first gear. This was repaired under warranty but I had to pay £600+ for the clutch as these items are not coverd under Ford warranty.

Has anybody had a similar problem?

Any comments are appreciated

Many thanks

Jo
Not quite sure how any noise that starts to occur only after 4000 miles can be normal or else it would have been there at outset
Do you know if it has been checked to see if there are any stored fault codes?

Apart from the changed noise have you noticed anything else different since the noise started?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Richard,

Thank you for your reply.

It is difficult to say whether or not the noise was there before the 4K as the car was so new.

Both garages did not mention any error codes.

The car runs very well & I have not noticed anything else different.

BTW, the engine noise is like "pinking" on a petrol engine.

An update from my Ford dealer today:

The car should have the injectors remapped asap by an approved independent company. Garage will pay for this.
Hope it will cure the fault!

Jo

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Hi Richard,

Thank you for your reply.

It is difficult to say whether or not the noise was there before the 4K as the car was so new.

Both garages did not mention any error codes.

The car runs very well & I have not noticed anything else different.

BTW, the engine noise is like "pinking" on a petrol engine.

An update from my Ford dealer today:

The car should have the injectors remapped asap by an approved independent company. Garage will pay for this.
Hope it will cure the fault!

Jo
that's a "far from insignificant requirement at only 7000 miles especially without them having(apparently) changed the injectors

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ford dealer checked the injectors and told me that they are OK.
Still waiting to get appoinment to calibrate the injectors.
I am not convinced that the noise comes from the injectors.
My suspision is the DMF. I might be wrong.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm pretty sure I know which noise you're on about and it seems a characteristic of the engine. You can hear it on Fords, Peugeots & Citroens with the same engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you jumborat & Percy for your replies.

I had a 2 litre cmax diesel(59 plate) & 1.6 cmax diesel (61 plate) before and never had the engine noise.

Jumborat, how long have you had that noise & will you tolerate it?

I will drive another cmax diesel from the dealer to compare the engine noise with mine.

Thank you Percy for that tip.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Jumborat, how long have you had that noise & will you tolerate it?
I took delivery of my car in January 2012 but didn't hear the rattle until spring. After purposely listening to other cars with the same engine you can hear it. Because of that I put not initially hearing it on mine down to the fact that it was winter when delivered so no windows were down, etc.

Coincidentally, my clutch had to be replaced after 8000 miles when the pressure plate shattered. Reading various Ford forums lots of owners with clutch/DMF problems had reported "metallicy" noises beforehand so it made me wonder if the rattle was the start of the pressure plate failing. When my car was repaired the noise was still there.

That, coupled with hearing it on others, leads me to believe it's just how the engine sounds.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I forgot to add, regarding the ticking noise you hear when backing off in 3rd, I don't know what that could be.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Ford dealer checked the injectors and told me that they are OK.
Still waiting to get appoinment to calibrate the injectors.
I am not convinced that the noise comes from the injectors.
My suspision is the DMF. I might be wrong.
Catching up with this one

If they say injectors are OK did they explain why they feel then that they need recalibrating. It's something I would have expected to be set to the particular engine when that engine was built

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jumborat, many thanks for your inputs.

I spoken to my Ford dealer today, re. ticking noise & he tells me it is the "learning" process of the injectors after the software update. After approx. 1000 miles noise is still there.

Tested the car again this morning & heard the "pinking/dieseling" noise when stationary bringing the engine to approx. 1750-2000 rpm. Very annoying.

I am deliberating to change the car to a 1.0 Ecoboost petrol if they can not sort out the engine on mine.
After all I paid good money for the car & and do not expect this.

BTW, did you have to pay for the repair of the pressure plate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your reply, Richard

The dealer told me that these engines are sometimes not as well calibrated in the mid range , ie.around 1500-2000rpm. That is the reason why they want to recalibrate the injectors.
I only hope they are right!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Joe, the clutch was replaced under warranty.

In another thread, 1.6 TDCi v 1.0 Ecoboost, I say that the diesel is an ok engine. It's nothing special but it's not bad either. The rattle I refer to does make it sound like a 20yo Tansit van! If I have another C-Max when I order my next car in October (unlikely, tbh) it'll probably be a 1.6 Ecoboost or the new 1.5 Ecoboost if that's the engine they fit.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The 1.6l TDCI does have a learn function for the injectors (its called PICL or pickle) and it does sound like pinking (good description) on a petrol. However, there are specific conditions that need to be meet before the injectors will try to learn. It has to be above a calibrated engine temp, the vehicle needs to be moving and RPM in a calibrated range to name a few. Learning takes place on overrun (when no fuel is being requested) and now under braking. If fuel is requested then the injector cannot learn.

"The dealer told me that these engines are sometimes not as well calibrated in
the mid range , ie.around 1500-2000rpm"

This is rubbish. the injectors learn over the life of the vehicle to take account of the aging piezo stack in the injector. Early cars did not have pre-aged injectors and so could end up with drivability issues early in there life and need a re-learn but later cars did not have this issue. A relearn is basically clearing all the previous injector learned values and letting the car re-learn new ones. You need to do this if you change injectors. You also need to input the new injector characteristics map if you change them, but ONLY if you change them.

The reason an re-learn would be needed is because there are drivability issues or the injectors have been changed. This will not get rid of the ticking noise it is a normal process. Some cars do suffer from louder pickle learning than others sorry don't know why. It maybe an engine related thing (above nominal cylinder pressure) ????

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 1.6l TDCI does have a learn function for the injectors (its called PICL or pickle) and it does sound like pinking (good description) on a petrol. However, there are specific conditions that need to be meet before the injectors will try to learn. It has to be above a calibrated engine temp, the vehicle needs to be moving and RPM in a calibrated range to name a few. Learning takes place on overrun (when no fuel is being requested) and now under braking. If fuel is requested then the injector cannot learn.

"The dealer told me that these engines are sometimes not as well calibrated in
the mid range , ie.around 1500-2000rpm"

This is rubbish. the injectors learn over the life of the vehicle to take account of the aging piezo stack in the injector. Early cars did not have pre-aged injectors and so could end up with drivability issues early in there life and need a re-learn but later cars did not have this issue. A relearn is basically clearing all the previous injector learned values and letting the car re-learn new ones. You need to do this if you change injectors. You also need to input the new injector characteristics map if you change them, but ONLY if you change them.

The reason an re-learn would be needed is because there are drivability issues or the injectors have been changed. This will not get rid of the ticking noise it is a normal process. Some cars do suffer from louder pickle learning than others sorry don't know why. It maybe an engine related thing (above nominal cylinder pressure) ????

Hope this helps
This might be why my car don't sound right since injector 4 was replaced it sounds more of a diesel rattle when in 2nd and 3rd and took back garage said car is fine I even took them out for test drive and mercanic said car is fine but I know it ain't as I know the car I drive it every day

1 - 16 of 16 Posts