Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, just replaced all 4 discs and pads on our 53 1.8 cmax with mintex items and would like to now replace the brake fluid as it looks a little dirty and pretty sure it hasn't been done for quite some time...
couple of questions tho...:rolleyes:
1/ what order do i need to do the calipers in...?
2/can anyone recommend a good brake bleeding kit..? been looking at the vacuum/hand pump ones but not done this before so not sure what to look for..
3/anything i need to know particular to the cmax...?

off to work now so won't be on again til later so if i don't answer til this evening, i'm not being rude..!;)

rgds stu

p.s. imagine my surprise when i'd worked my way round car (changing discs and pads, painting calipers, cleaning and waxing inside of wheels) to end up at the front passenger side only to find that that side had a 278mm disc but driver side had 300mm disc..:eek::confused::mad: quality...:rolleyes:
managed to get cheap from fleabay a 300 mm caliper and used the caliper bracket from that to replace so all is good now with 2 x 300mm discs up front..

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
The order to do calipers used to be based on the length of pipe involved and do longeat first
It now seems to be the case to use a pressurised (from the spare wheel) container of fluid fitted in place of the brake fluid reservoir cap

·
Registered
849 Posts
Normal "Dot 4" brake fluid should be changed at least every two years as it is "Hygroscopic", that means it will absorb water over time, which reduces it's ability to resist the high temperatures generated during braking. This can lead to brake failure in extreme cases. It also causes internal corrosion of callipers and pipes if left too long as I'm sure you probably know.
I have a Gunsons Eezibleed GUNSONS EEZIBLEED CLUTCH & BRAKE BLEED KIT (5018341740627) | eBay which is very easy to use but as Richard says, needs to be connected to an air supply (spare wheel), a bit of a faff to be honest. Don't know if you ever watch Wheeler Dealers with Mike Brewer and Ed China, but I've seen Ed using a vacuum bleeder like this one SEALEY VS020 Brake & Clutch Bleeder / Bleeding Vacuum Type 1ltr Kit | eBay which actually looked easier to use and probably less messy. You just couple it up to the bleed nipple and operate the lever. All you need is someone to keep topping up the reservoir as you pump the fluid through.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers for replies guys..;) was thinking of doing o/s/r then n/s/f then n/s/r then o/s/f as seem to remember that they are linked at oposite sides/ends of car if that makes sense..?
had seen the pumps that operate from car tyre but remember a mate doing his bike that way and completely knackered his braking system, think he used double the pressure tho as he wasn't one for reading instructions..:eek::rolleyes:
had looked already at the 2nd pump mentioned but think it runs from compressed air line so was thinking more of the hand pump ones..?
spoke to a mate at work today and he reckons they're pretty easy to use so will probably give it ago this weekend...fluid is definately dirty looking and pretty sure it hasn't been done for some time and already have a bottle of dot 4 i bought for my bike but never used...:D
rgds stu

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just ordered one of the hand pump ones...:D
probably a tool thats not gonna get loads of use but still less than half the price of getting the garage to do it and at least i won't drip brake fluid all over my clean waxed alloys or scratch them when taking them off and leaning them against a wall..!:eek:
cheers, rgds stu

·
Registered
489 Posts
The order doesn't really matter when the fluid goes through an ABS control unit. Each line is independent of the others, it's good form to do back first front last though.
I use an Eezi Bleed thing which is a hose with a one way valve on the end. Pump the pedal and it's done. I'd suggest ATE super blue racing fluid. It's blue so you know when it's bled through completely. Then next flush go yellow again to make it easy to be sure.
Last thing, spray a touch of penetrating oil on the bleed nipples before trying to undo them. They are notorious for sticking or snapping off, which is very bad news!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts