Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

I have a 57 plate c-max style 1.6lt TDCI. Last repair work done on it was around October/November after it developed an engine system fault which was caused but the fuel pressure sensor, I also had the EGR replaced at the same time. It's been running fine since then the past few months and its been in regular use. Anyway I was doing the school run and just as I was heading down an incline I had to apply brakes etc due to traffic, at which point engine system fault flashed up again on the dash (nothing else lit up) and that vanished as quick as it came and stayed off but the car sounded rough following this but was running fine as far as I can tell (relatively new driver lol). Anyway on the way back from the school run just round the corner from where we live I stopped at a give way junction, I prepped myself ready to go and went to move off, except the car moved nowhere. The engine revved when accelerator was applied but the car just wouldn't move. Eventually it very slowly started to move enough for me to get off the junction and pull over but there was a small amount of smoke from the front of the car, this disipated quickly. since I was so close to home (end of street) I very tentatively got it home and on the drive (oddly drove without issue). I'm hoping someone with a bit more knowledge might have some idea of what its problem is. I did immediately look under the bonnet to check timing belt which is fine on visual inspection, checked exhaust no plumes of white smoke and when cool enough I checked the car fluids which are all at appropriate levels, checked oil cap and reservoir/dipstick and no indication of water/oil mix indicative of head gasket issues, I am quietly optimistic that the gasket is okay. Near the bonnet catch/lock though there was a creamy/greasy substance which looks like it sprayed and hit the hose (I will attach photo), is it possible this was responsible for the small amount of smoke and even the burnt smell? I have a cheap little obd so hooked that up and got no fault codes from it. Is it likely a flywheel/clutch issue or could it be something else? I haven't driven it since as I daren't incase the car refuses to move again at a busier junction, plus I don't want to risk causing further damage. I have RAC membership so plan on calling them out to it but I don't like nasty shocks so figured i'd ask you guys haha I have already looked at flywheel and clutch estimation cost, so i'm praying it might be something less major lol

Thanks in advance

from this novice car owner

·
Registered
48 Posts
That creamy substance is spray grease, unrelated to your issue.
The running engine also shows that all the other checks you have done, while useful, are also unrelated.
Your suggestion about the clutch is most likely correct.
When my clutch release failed there was continuous drive, which made the car very interesting to move! The pedal met very little resistance when pressed.
Yours, however, has the opposite issue with no drive. That will be still related to the clutch mechanism, but obviously the fault is not the same as mine. Have you tried to drive the car since?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for the reply,

ive not driven it since, mostly out of fear it will fail to move at a junction again lol I left it on the drive this morning and took the kids to school in a taxi. I'm glad the grease is unrelated though. I had a feeling my suspicion of the clutch wasn't far wrong but I questioned myself due to my inexperience.

That creamy substance is spray grease, unrelated to your issue.
The running engine also shows that all the other checks you have done, while useful, are also unrelated.
Your suggestion about the clutch is most likely correct.
When my clutch release failed there was continuous drive, which made the car very interesting to move! The pedal met very little resistance when pressed.
Yours, however, has the opposite issue with no drive. That will be still related to the clutch mechanism, but obviously the fault is not the same as mine. Have you tried to drive the car since?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Is this a manual gearbox car?
I am guessing you cooked the clutch. Was there a horrible burning smell when this happened?
It could be the car or it could be you. Just be aware when you are driving to make sure you are not applying pressure to the clutch peddle when not changing gear. There is a possibility that you have slightly depressed or "ridden" the clutch as you have been driving along which will have caused it to slip and get hot. This would cause what you have described.
Your clutch may also be on the way out. To try and tell if it is, get on a straight level road in 4th or 5th gear at around 30 mph. Put your foot on the accelerator and, if the engine revs rise but not the speed, your clutch is likely worn.
Another point to mention. If your normal drive in the car is school runs then I would avoid a diesel in the future. Newer Euro 5 and above (not yours) with DPF filters do not take kindly to short school runs and any savings in fuel with be quickly wiped out when the filter gets blocked.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI

Yeah it's manual and yup there was a burning smell. its in the garage now and they have said the clutch definitely needs changing, i'm assuming its just at the end of its lifespan as ive not been driving the car that long and i'm generally good with the clutch IE not sitting at lights on the clutch and such. They are going to see if the flywheel needs doing too, i'm guessing it will to be fair lol it would be nice if it didn't. Yeah my normal runs are city driving, school runs, appointments and such, maybe the odd motorway trip now and then. I know diesels aren't the best for that and the only reason I got this one was because its a non DPF model as I know DPF ones need regular high speed sustained runs to regen the DPF. When the time comes my next car will be petrol. This was only meant to be a starter car while I saved up but I fell in love with it and enjoy driving it. Nearly needed resuscitating though when she informed me how much a new one will set me back, crikey.

Is this a manual gearbox car?
I am guessing you cooked the clutch. Was there a horrible burning smell when this happened?
It could be the car or it could be you. Just be aware when you are driving to make sure you are not applying pressure to the clutch peddle when not changing gear. There is a possibility that you have slightly depressed or "ridden" the clutch as you have been driving along which will have caused it to slip and get hot. This would cause what you have described.
Your clutch may also be on the way out. To try and tell if it is, get on a straight level road in 4th or 5th gear at around 30 mph. Put your foot on the accelerator and, if the engine revs rise but not the speed, your clutch is likely worn.
Another point to mention. If your normal drive in the car is school runs then I would avoid a diesel in the future. Newer Euro 5 and above (not yours) with DPF filters do not take kindly to short school runs and any savings in fuel with be quickly wiped out when the filter gets blocked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts