Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2007 Ford Focus C-Max 1.8 LX TDCI (E4). I’m assuming this is a Mark1 but i’m not sure.

Im being told different things by different people. Some say it has a cam belt, some say it has a chain. One garage now says it may have both a cam belt and a chain and they both May need replacing. One chap at Ford says that if it does have a chain that they only need adjusting, not replacing. Can anyone clear this up for me please As I’m very confused. It’s overdue replacement of a Cam belt so I’m keen to get this sorted.

Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hiya, it could be either the only way I know how to check other than striping half the engine apart is to remove the tensioner, if it has a flat end it's a wet belt if it has a domed end it's a chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I understand a little better now. The upper is a belt. The question is whether or not the lower is a chain or a welt belt. My Car was registered early 2007. Does anyone know when the welt belt system came in or where I can find out? Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes you're right upper is a normal belt and the lower could be a chain or wet belt.
The only way I know how to check other than striping half the engine apart is to remove the tensioner, if it has a flat end it's a wet belt if it has a domed end it's a chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I believe that my car has a chain now after checking with Ford, although they were a bit vague about the service interval for a chain and gave an estimate of over £1000 for replacing it! That’s in addition to the cam belt change. Does anyone know if this is right? I was under the impression that The chain doesn’t need replacing. Maybe just adjusting?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts