Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to this forum , hope it’s kinda than when I owned a Citroen Picasso grande!! Awful car . Anyways, we purchased a c max grande as we couldn’t quite afford the s max. 1.6 diesel manual. Two key fobs . Two weeks ago we went to open car with kids in tow, and nothing . Welcome to the shock we had when we then realised we had no key to open car . Ah, there is, inside fob. That was ingenious ! Then find that fob will still work by placing it next to where key would be in car. Amazing. Then after scrolling net to find out how to get battery out, we replaced from Halfords . 2 days later , no ford key detected . So hold fob next to where key would go , and all good. Must have been bad batteries . So buy new ones . All works . Week later, no ford key detected . Ok, either I’m buying dud batteries , or something is a miss here ? Help!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum.
There's 2 different ways of the car validating your keys, one needs the fob to be powered and the other doesn't (for when the battery goes flat).
When you place the fob near the 'normal' key position the transponder (I think that's what it's called) in the fob allows the car to be started. It's so that a flat battery doesn't completely immobilise the car.
If the battery is OK, the validation is slightly different, it uses a 'handshake' between the fob and the keyless start module.
That's my understanding of how it works, it explains why the car will work with the key close to the switch location but it doesn't explain why the batteries should be the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thanks for that, it’s just the batteries that I don’t get ? Wondered if others had similar issues ? Batteries lasting days ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts