Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought a C MAX 56 plate 1.8 tdci manual ghia , 4k miles , great car , but it feels like the auto choke is on all the time , when turning corners car picks up speed , also i can be driving 25-30 mph in 4th gear and car stays at the same speed without my foot on the gas pedal , also when i'm coming to a stop , i'm finding the car harder to brake as it feels like the auto choke is on , i have to put car into neutral to stop saftley , has anyone else had a problem similar to this ...

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hi and welcome

I own a 2.0 TDCI and not had any of those problems.
Not too sure on a cure either
. Only thing I can think of is that the "gas" pedal is fly by wire and that might be the fault.
If you bought it from a dealer then take it back to see if they can cure it.

I will move this post to the technical section so that others can see it.
But do please post a Hi and intro in the newbies section

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Diesels don't of course have a choke of any sort. They don't even have a throttle
As lawe says the diesel have Electronic Diesel control (EDC)of he injector pump where there is a variable resistor that senses accelerator pedal position and controls the position of the "rack" by means of comparing voltages with that stored in the ECUand also sensors that sense when the clurch / brake pedal are depressed do as to indicate idle

when you say it feels like the auto choke is on what actually happens and does it make any difference if ypu depress the brake or clutch or both?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
when i press the clutch then it is fine , braking takes a fraction longer , it could be that i,m not used to deisel yet driven an astra 1.4 petrol up till last week

·
Registered
27 Posts
yeah, probably just not use to it yet.
Its almost impossible to stall a diesel unless youur standing on the brake!
You'll find that you can pull away in 2nd and even 3rd without touching the throttle! Diesels are faster at low revs. Petrols need higher rpm to get going.

I learnt to drive in a diesel, never stalled in any lessons, and couldnt figure out why i became rubbish again - kept stalling - as soon as i passed. My first car was a petrol.

Matt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts