Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just fitted a bumper protector thingy to my Grand C-Max - the car is polar white, and the scratches were beginning to show when I collected it, and I have and old dog who struggles to make a clean jump into the car so I wanted to put something in place to minimise the scratches.

Cost ~£14 delivered from ebay, and is essentially a big vinyl sticker - it's quite thick, as stickers go - more like the thickness of say a birthday card than a sheet of A4 paper.

I'm really pleased with it - the one I chose had a 'carbon fibre' effect, which I expect is a little marmite, but I quite like it - and it is textured to the feel, not just a flat print - I thought this would mask any subsequent scratches that the protector picked up.

I'll take some pics once it's daylight, and I'm happy to share the link to the ebay seller if such links are permitted?

I'd certainly recommend it for anyone who's worried about scratching the bumper - I'm sure that the genuine bumper protectors offer more protection, but this cost a fraction of the price of the genuine article, and actually covers a bigger surface on the bumper.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i might have a look for the vinyl sticker.mines got a couple of scratches where ive been taking my sons wheelchair out the back.is it easy to apply?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't bad to apply, though I did end up with a small crease right at the end where it stuck to itself as I shaped it over the edge of the bumper :-(

The one I used was self adhesive - I've seen some that suggest using a mild soapy solution to allow repositioning, which might have given me a little more tolerance.

It suck really well and didn't get any air bubbles as I worked from one side across the car - if it hadn't been for the minor screwup I'd have said it was easy!

The instructions did say to fit in temperatures between 15-30 degrees, which isn't gonna happen any time soon, so I used a hairdryer to take the chill off the bumper after I'd cleaned it and also to soften the sticker a little to aid it in shaping round the contours.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ive seen the vinyl sticker and they have it it black or siver carbon fibre look.i dont know wether black would look a bit odd or the silver would look better.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snapped a couple of shots this morning with my mobile phone - not perfect, but illustrates the 'look' of it

IMG_20131127_085318 by NosamLuap (aka Paul Mason), on Flickr

IMG_20131127_085331 by NosamLuap (aka Paul Mason), on Flickr

The dew/rain doesn't help, but I didn't have time to dry it before work :)

You can see on the last image where I got a little crease - between the two large water drops at the very left edge, near the bottom, there's a zig-zag fold that runs about an inch and a half along the curve - there's even a shadow visible on the white bumper where the crease has a 'peak' :(

I suspect that the black/carbon look isn't to everyone's taste (I'm not 100% convinced it's to my taste yet!!), but the car has 18" black wheels and privacy glass, so I think the black fits the look of it... if I had a silver car, or even if I had silver wheels on my white car, I'm not sure I'd have gone for a dark trim like this...

·
Registered
288 Posts
It looks pretty good to me. I had to look very carefully to see the crease.
If anyone needs to look that close -- they are being too fussy. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Rolo, but the water has obscured it. It's more obvious when dry/flat - not terrible, but it's the sort of little thing that'll bug me...

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
the only other real colour for such things is aluminium as in proper aluminium tread plate properly shaped and fitted but that is a big job

·
Registered
42 Posts
that looks really good.you have done a real nice job there with that.im gonna order me some later and im going to attempt it but i doubt it will look as good as yours.i dont think the black vinyl will look too bad on my silver cmax.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the only other real colour for such things is aluminium as in proper aluminium tread plate properly shaped and fitted but that is a big job
yup; and it's more than £15! ;)

that looks really good.you have done a real nice job there with that.im gonna order me some later and im going to attempt it but i doubt it will look as good as yours.i dont think the black vinyl will look too bad on my silver cmax.
For what it's worth, this is the eBay seller/item I bought: Carbon Style rear Bumper Protector Ford Grand C-Max | eBay - delivery took a week or so, and the instructions were pretty basic, but I'm quite pleased with the product.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks pretty good to me. I had to look very carefully to see the crease.
If anyone needs to look that close -- they are being too fussy. :)
Not being fussy, honest :) (Finger for some idea of scale)

DSC_2321 by NosamLuap (aka Paul Mason), on Flickr

the crease is quite obvious. Never mind - I'll know next time :)

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
That Number Plate doesn't look legal.
The Cop's will have your pants down if they see that!

·
Super Moderator
2,423 Posts
I use a Finger in most of my photographs...not for scale though!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wish I'd looked a bit harder when I bought my rear bumper protector. I really wanted one of the rigid moulded ones, as advertised in Telegraph motoring supplement, but they don't do one for the Grand C Max.

So I ordered the genuine Ford part.

1535724 Ford C-Max Bumper protection foils, rear - 2003 onwards

I am underwhelmed. Including delivery, over 30 quid for a bit of clear sticky backed plastic. Which was a pig to fit, I got loads of air bubbles under it. Still, it'll stop the dogs claws doing too much damage, and I guess I can always peel it off again. Not impressed though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're right! Now that its magnified three times I can see it, well nearly, but I had to blow it up a bit more on my screen.
;)
Lol! Ok, maybe I'm being a little over critical, but I know it's there... ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts