Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

we have a great 2005 cmax with 72,000 miles, service history, zetec diesel.

We broke down last Friday when the battery light came on and 10 mins later the abs light came on then all the gagese went to max and down to zero, at the same time the steering went very heavy shortyl followed by a complete shutdown.

When I turned the key it was completely dead, no ignition lights at all.

Ford took us to their nearby garage and diagnosed a faulty battery which they replaced on Saturday.

Came to the car this morning and the battery light was on again, followed by the abs light so we stopped at the end of the drive and put it back by the garage.

Ford came out and when he tried to drive it on the breakdown truck there was nothing - completely dead again.

I just called the garage and they tell me they think it was a faulty battery and are waiting for a new one to try.

It just doesn't sound right to me, a coincidence that a replacement battery would have exaclty the same fault - what are the chances of that !!??

Is there a known problem that Alan Myerscough Ford of Ulverston don't know about ??

thanks

Russell

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Short circuit in the Glow plugs (or the relays)would cause a very heavy current drain in a short time that may cause the appaerently unrelated warning lights due to low battery voltage

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It could be the altenator,have you had one replaced at all in 75000 miles.If you have had a new battery & that`s died,then it`s almost certainly the alt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are right, as far as I know it has not had an alternator, I got the car from my business partner a few months ago as the garage offered him £4000 for it against a new £23k s max so I said I would give him the £4k and a great car it is to drive.

I got a speeding ticket in the first month, can't believe how nippy it is !

I'll contact the garage and suggest it may be the alternator but how much will a Ford garage want for that ??

Must be a better place to buy one from ? easy to fit ??

thanks guys

Russell

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hmm sounds like alt to me and as you dont have the epb i guess the abs and power steering are the next biggestdrain on the battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
do you think a faulty / knackered alternator could damage the battery ?

this would explain why the original battery went and the new one they fitted.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It might over a long period of time,but if you only noticed this problem recently,then the battery should have only needed a good charge & it would be ok.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quick update !
I got a quote form a garage close to the main dealers for £216 and went to collect car to be given another bill for £57 for diagnosis ! This is on top of the one I paid for nearly £200 last week for an incorrect diagnosis.
Had a blazing row with them in the managers office for 20 mins as I refused to pay the £57 bill, he eventually accepted that this was not very good customer service and agreed to replace the alternator for £216 as per other quote (they originally wanted £650 to include replacing a 'module').
Should be ready on Friday so I will be ready for another fight if required !

thanks for your help

Russell

1 - 14 of 14 Posts