Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I’d be grateful for any help on the following. I am planning a front disc and pads change on my 2013 TDCi. I have changed pads before (on my Focus) but never discs, and I’m still a novice and as such, I do have a few Q’s:

1) do the pistons on the front push back or wind in?

2) in terms of hill assist, do I need to consider anything in order to not mess this up!? I’ve read some people have had issues after changing pads/discs.

3) does everyone always silicone grease calliper bolts on a pad and disc change, or is it just see how they are and add accordingly?

Thanks in advance for reading and for any responses, much appreciated.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had new discs and pads all round on my 2014 C max and was surprised that the cost was a competitive £420 at Ford.
It may be worth considering.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had new discs and pads all round on my 2014 C max and was surprised that the cost was a competitive £420 at Ford.
It may be worth considering.
Thanks for the reply. I am keen to extend my knowledge of how to do a few jobs myself. Obviously brakes are an essential part of the car but having done pads before on a 2008 Focus I just wanted some advice on a few areas. I have had a quote for £200 for the front and whilst that’s competitive I’m keen to learn, like I say. Thank you for the response though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

I’d be grateful for any help on the following. I am planning a front disc and pads change on my 2013 TDCi. I have changed pads before (on my Focus) but never discs, and I’m still a novice and as such, I do have a few Q’s:

1) do the pistons on the front push back or wind in?

2) in terms of hill assist, do I need to consider anything in order to not mess this up!? I’ve read some people have had issues after changing pads/discs.

3) does everyone always silicone grease calliper bolts on a pad and disc change, or is it just see how they are and add accordingly?

Thanks in advance for reading and for any responses, much appreciated.
Thanks for the reply. I am keen to extend my knowledge of how to do a few jobs myself. Obviously brakes are an essential part of the car but having done pads before on a 2008 Focus I just wanted some advice on a few areas. I have had a quote for £200 for the front and whilst that’s competitive I’m keen to learn, like I say. Thank you for the response though.
Hi, I've done front pads on an 11plate TDCI before with no problems. From memory, the pads are non-wind back - but you can get a tool cheaply enough if they are. Don't forget to loosen the master cylinder cap and keep an eye on the fluid level. Use a little grease on the BACK of the pads and where they slide on the caliper. Pretty sure that you won't have complications with hill-start .
To get the disc off - with the caliper off and hung out of the way (without putting a strain on the pipe) - unscrew the disc and be prepared to give some heavy hammer persuasion to the rear of it. Make sure to give the hub a good wire brushing before you fit the new disc.
Just remember to make a note or photo of how things are, before you take them apart (such as the big spring clips) and you will need a special size Allen key (7mm) to get the caliper off .
I would say that this is a straightforward job - well within the ability of a non - professional.
Let us know how you get on

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I've done front pads on an 11plate TDCI before with no problems. From memory, the pads are non-wind back - but you can get a tool cheaply enough if they are. Don't forget to loosen the master cylinder cap and keep an eye on the fluid level. Use a little grease on the BACK of the pads and where they slide on the caliper. Pretty sure that you won't have complications with hill-start .
To get the disc off - with the caliper off and hung out of the way (without putting a strain on the pipe) - unscrew the disc and be prepared to give some heavy hammer persuasion to the rear of it. Make sure to give the hub a good wire brushing before you fit the new disc.
Just remember to make a note or photo of how things are, before you take them apart (such as the big spring clips) and you will need a special size Allen key (7mm) to get the caliper off .
I would say that this is a straightforward job - well within the ability of a non - professional.
Let us know how you get on
Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate your time in giving such a detailed response. I will definitely follow your guidance. In terms of greasing the back of the pads, is that with copper grease? I have read a few articles about it not being needed with modern pads? What’s your thoughts on that? I also plan to clean up the calliper pins and re-apply silicone grease-is that required or a bit of over kill? Thought I might as well as I’m ‘in there’. Thanks again, much appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I don't usually get too carried away with grease - some say to dab a little on the pad, where it comes into contact with the piston - personally, I've never done that. Just make sure to clear the area on the caliper - where the pad slides - with a wire brush, and give it a little dab. Make sure to clean up the slide pins and don't cross thread them on the way back in.
Hopefully, you have non-wind back pistons - you can push them back with water pump pliers or a G cramp. Worst case is you'll have to get a simple wind back from Halfords.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi, thanks again for the tips. Is that copper grease on to the area where the pads slide?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The calipers have little ears that run in the caliper.That's copper grease to the caliper, at the point of contact with the pad ( after knocking all the crud off and giving it a good wire brushing)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that. Yes, planning to spend time cleaning the callipers up and will apply a dab of copper grease to that channel where the pad ears sit. Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for that. Yes, planning to spend time cleaning the callipers up and will apply a dab of copper grease to that channel where the pad ears sit. Cheers
Just an update on how the job went and thanks again for your help. I completed the job last week and all seems good so far. I had done my research and due diligence as when working on the brakes is a fairly important job!!

the main issue I found was removing the 22mm calliper bolts. A breaker bar (600mm/ 24”) is very useful! My neighbour had one and I will be investing now.
Thanks again for the advice, much appreciated.
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts