Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Ford TIS instrutions. To replace the rear discs it specifies that the special tool retractor has to be used to compress the piston back into the cylinder. As this tool is not available to the DIYer , what other proceedure is there to acheive this end? I have tried today without success. Should it make a difference my C-Max is a 2004 Zetec.

Any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made an error in the above on Brake Disc Replacement . It shoulh read 'Brake Pad Replacement' Sorry!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Lawe, Thanks for an early construtive reply, I will make contact with Motorspares. I have already tried the bend plier attempt. as well creating a wooden wedge and applying pressure on this. I can turn the piston in the cylinder but not comprees it.

Thank again. ELJ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could anyone explain the procedure for backing of the auto adjuster ( I assume that is the problem). I have just bought some new back brake pads for my 2.0 TDCI but can't get the old ones off. Help!....

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
As the brakes are discs all round there are no auto adjusters
by there nature removal of the pressure cause the pads to back off just enough to not NORMALLY stick and rub the disc unless there is a lot of muck around the edge which may be what is preventing the old ones coming off

The caliper rewind tool required is the clockwise rotation version (there is an anticlockwise) and the specific adapter (which is not normally part of any manufacturers kit) at least for the 1.6TDCI has pins of 6mm dia and at 19.5mm centers - YOU WILL NEED TO TRY TO CHECK THIS BEFORE YOU START AS THEY COULD BE DIFFERENT

FORD WILL NOT NORMALLY BE ABLE TO ASSIST as the parts shops will not carry CMAX calipers except as pre pay SPECIALORDER

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I presume I have to get the caliper off, then the pads and then screw in the piston with either the adaptor or angled long nose pliers?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Ok here goes dont shoot me if my explanation is rubbish i know what i do

Remove the caliper after undoing the 7mm allen bolts
Take out the pads.
Remove the top from the brake fluid tank and surround with cloth
Apply force using a G clamp between the rear of the caliper and the piston (be careful of the bleed nipple)
using mole grips or suitable alternative turn the piston anti clockwise.
Ensure that you keep applying pressure on the G clamp
Continue until piston is fully home.

Hope that helps. I was also told that you should clamp the brake pipe and open the bleed nipple to allow fluid to escape as otherwise damage may occur to the abs system. I never did that on all my fords but would like to hear comments goog luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Lazy B that sounds like a good DIY alternative although I imagine you have to be careful to not damage the piston or the rubber gaiter with the jaws of the mole grip. Certainly worth trying.

·
Registered
615 Posts
i have just had my rear brake pads changed and that is how mine were changed mole grips and a g clamp. The piston kept winding back out so he used the mole grips to wind it back in while tightning the g clamp to keep it wound down it worked great. One thing i must say as i am a bit worried now i have saw this he destroyed the rubber seal around the piston while doing it but told me it is not really that important.

·
Registered
615 Posts
does that now mean that if that happens i need a new caliper can you buy the seal does anyone know because at this momment in time theres not one on there because it he pulled it off while doing the pads

·
Registered
615 Posts
i will mate thanks and i know what there going to say you have to buy a caliper as we dont sell that part seperate that has being the story so far with my car but i have a back up plan now i just got myself a n reg 1.5 pug full service history and 58000 miles on the clock I have a mate with the same car and his has over 16500 miles on the clock and is still going strong and he gets 50 mpg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts