Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to replenish the washer fluid today but cant open the bonnet, It has worked perfectly in the past as I've had it open numerous times. I recently had the grill off and therefore the chamber out of the grill but was careful when doing so but I must of somehow disengaged the chamber rod from the bonnet latch, any ideas of how I get round this please?

·
Registered
336 Posts
ok first things first, if its just the part where the key goes in i think i might have a fix. If its the part where the catch is i dont think this is going to work.
Here goes,
Remove the under tray and front part of the lower bumper.
You should be able to get yourarm up inside the front bumper and grill but infront of the radiator.
The bonnet lock has a bar connecting it to the lock at the front where you put your key in, if you have a decent set of mole grips you should be able to turn this bar with your arm up inside. Hope that fixes it i will try to post a couple of pics to show what i mean.

Edited by: lazyb

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I get what you mean, I'll give that a go and let you know how I get on for future reference, if not it may be the crow bar option

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
*Post copied to this thread....could a mod delete the other thread please?*

Ohhhhh dear you've got alot of swearing and frustration ahead of you....

If you take the grill off there is a little white piece of lastic that is known to break easily. It connects the key to the bonnet lock. If you take the grill off you've either broken it or not put it back in correctly. You need to unbolt the boot lock but the bolts are all on the engine side. When it happened to me I still had the grill out so I could just reach around. However if the grill is in place I don't see how yo could do it without breaking something.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine did the same this week , tried to fill up jets bonnet wont open , i tried for a bit felt i was going to break something so i took it to Ford dealer £46 later fixed . When i spoke to the mechanic he says they have loads of these . He told me how to do it which is the same as above, but warned me a grill is more than £46 , just thought id let you know.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I did manage to get the bonnet open, by 'pushing' the key into the lock chamber and bingo, she opened up. I took the grill out and tried it again to no avail. It seems the lock and bowden cable need to to at a specific angle for it all the work. I finally manged to get it all open again, replaced the grill and triedit again.The key now operates position 1, but operation 2 it doesn't. Gepard did you fix yours? if so how?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yup I fixed mine.

There is a little white cross piece that goes between the bowden cable and the catch. You have to buy a new one from Ford as they're a one-use-only item.

But that inbetween them and it's fairly easy but fiddly job.

If I were you I'd buy two just incase you break one.

Any probs give me a shout.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got round to fixing the problem, heres how
1. Take the cover off from under the car
2. Reached up and released the barrel from the grill by pulling apart the retaining clips.
3. Inserted key and applied pressure whilst turning it through positions '1' and '2'.
4. With the bonnet now open, removed the air deflector and grill.
5. Lined up the plastic white 'cross hairs' ( male end in barrel with bowden cable and female end in lock mechanism)
6. With them lined up hold the barrel at 90 degrees to the lock and' butted' the end of the barrel (remove key 1st) and the two ends clicked back together.
7. Reassembled grill and tried the lock before shutting the bonnet, just to be on the safe side

Thank you all for your pics, advice and attachments, hope this helps out anyone in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had the same problem. Went to refresh the screen wash and can't get the bonnet open. I'd prefer to do the job myself rather than getting the local Ford Delaer to do it so was happy to see that other people had had the same problem and that there is a solution. If I can get detailed instructions i shall have a go.

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
HAD SAME PROB. GARAGE SAID ONLY WAY WAS TO CUT HOLE IN GRILL AND IF YOU CANNOT FREE IT DRILL OUT WHITE PLASTIC AT BASE THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO TURN LOCKWITH SCREW DRIVER
TOTAL COST PARTS £176 BEST OF LUCK SPIV

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That must be worst case scenario, I encourage you to try and fix it yourself before paying a garage to do it, its really only a 5 minute job if its the same problem I had, £176? I'll do it for half the price

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had this problem recently - seems like a design fault to me. I was quoted £150+ and a smashed grill by Ford dealership as only way to fix. I removed the splash plate in front of the radiator (fairly easy job) then reached up and released the lock from the grill but had to cut the flexible cable right off as there was no connection to the release mechanism. Broke the plastic part in front of the lock with a long screwdriver to reveal the broken white plastic "cross" piece. I made up a tool from a long piece of aluminium rod with a slot in the end which enabled me to turn the cross piece and release the bonnet. The new part (£25.00)comes with a lock barrel which has to have the tumblers assembled to fit your key but the nice chaps in the workshop at work managed to get the old barrel out of my broken part and refitted it in the new one. Reassembly was straightforward and it now works fine but I'm keeping my special tool in the boot just in case! There have been several mods to this mechanism according to the Ford Parts man so hopefully the original fault has been corrected.Ian

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi, My locks a bit loose, has anyone got some pictures on how and what bit to look for,just in case I need to open mine manually.Seems like a comon problem.Thanks

1 - 20 of 58 Posts