Ford C-Max Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Definately try Ford,6 years ago my parents had a Volvo 44o with cvt gearbox.They had had the car from new & it was serviced by local Volvo dealer.It only had 32000 on clock when the gearbox packed up.They were charged £2500 for a new one.I rang Volvo HQ and after couple of calls,they refunded all £2500
.So it is definately worth contacting them,also be persistant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I've recently bought a 2004 1.6 Tdci auto C-max and have exactly the same problem as everyone else on here: It loses power on the motorways and short drives. It's already been back to the dealer twice, and it's in for a third time today. They sent it to Ford who replace the air sensor assembly or something but it's obviously not solved it.

Did anyone manage to find out what the problem was? I've suggested it might be the EGR valve based on internet research but also found this extract from the honestjohn.co.uk website:

"
Mysterious further 'Engine System Faults' on diesels leading them to
lose power and revert to limp home mode may be caused by an intercooler
pipe weld fault leading to a crack in the pipe. The word from inside is
that the "real" reason is clogging up of the EGR valve. 1.6 TDCI
intercooler pipe was redesigned August 2006 to overcome problem of
cracking. Problem of 1.6 and 2.0 16v diesels slipping into limp home
mode also put down to throttle butterflies sticking or their spindles
wearing prematurely causing them to stick. The throttle position sensor
identifies this and sends a message to the ECU to limit the engine to
limp home mode.
"

I'm absolutely furious about this car - i did loads of research to find the perfect family vehicle and with 3 weeks to go before my wife gives birth this is the last thing I need.

Cheers
Matt

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Diesels as far as I know don't have throttle butterflys and thus don't have idle position sensors either. I think the equivalent is on either the brake or clutch pedal

There have been posts on here about changed intercooler pipe solving the problems as well as changed EGR valves not solving it

I'm not certain there is yet a definitive answer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Matt,

When limp mode 1st started for on the way to work a year + ago. I rang Invicta motors and the service manager said to bring it in. When I had got back in the car to take it in it was back to normal. I did not take it in but spoke to the service manager again and he said the engine management units resets after the engine is turn off. That is now happening a bit more frequently.
I have had a new engine fitted 1500 miles ago when the 4th big end went and it still happens.
I also get when the car is going up hill on 1800 revs it looses power momentarily and then back to normal if I continue at the same speed and revs it would continue doing it.Invicta told me when I 1st brought the car that they had a ford expert look at the car and that is what the car DID.The sales man said all 1.6 TDCi autos diesels do that.
I am as disappointed as you with the car.

Alan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Matt,

I really feel for you. I'm trading in my C-Max CVT in desperation after 15 failed attempts at a fix from a main dealer. I'm convinced there is no fix unless Ford themselves decide to invest in one - and that Ford have decided to say "to hell with those affected".

I do feel a bit guilty that someone else will buy my car - just like you did - and just like I did - thinking it's a good car and if it goes wrong Ford'll fix it. trouble is, I paid £8.5k for my car 18 months ago - I've had to trade it in for £3.5k and I want to get as much back from the car as I can.

The fix that haslasted the longest on my car was a replacement EGR valve. This lasted about a month before the "hesitation on pullaway" symptoms started coming back. Then the smoke out the back became visible and finally it started going into "limp home" mode on long trips.

If it's any help I can provide my contact details if you want to write to Wathdog or What Car - I think ifthose affected clubbed together there would be more chance of shaming Ford into doing something.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I made the the mistake of paying for it over 5 years instead of paying for it.If I had paid for it I just may have dumped it. The trouble is for me (I have Multible Sclerosis)it is so easy for me to get in and out.I paid 10500 2 and a half years ago.
I would think I may get £3500 if I was lucky.
Mine has not long started hesitation on pull away. Not going to buy a ford again.Although when it 1st went in they loaned me a galaxy that was really good as we had gone on a cricket tour of the Isle of Wight.
I suppose if everyone has the same problem ford may resolve it.
Many thanks for your imput.

Alan

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is absolutely insane! How can there be so many people claiming the same fault and Ford do nothing about it??

15 attempts to fix it and still no resolution? Just totally unacceptable. I spoke to the garage that sold it to me yesterday and he in no uncertain terms told me that there was no option of getting a replacement car or my money back so I spoke to trading standards. Their response was that I was unlikely to get my money back but under the sale of goods act the car is not fit for purpose!

I think we should definitely write to watchdog or whatcar or somebody and voice our dissatisfaction. I can create a website with a petition facility if needs be. I'm happy to write to them myself.

I'm just seething at this predicament. The other galling thing about this car is that from all the research I did on the net for a safe family car not once did I find anything that said child seats with isofix bars and a supporting leg WON'T fit because of the false floor. It seems as if this model was a Friday afternoon car!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Matt,

My problem in not being able to rejectmy car under the Sale of Goods act was that:

1.I didn't give the Vauxhall dealer I bought the car from the opportunity to correct the defect - I took it toFord- because I thought they were the best placed people to fix it.

2. I let Fordtake a long time to try and fix the problem before taking any action - this was because I had a year's extended warranty and for the first year I let the warranty pay for all the repairs.

I advise you to :

1. Give the supplying dealer three chances to fix it. If no fix:
2. Write to the dealer saying you reject the car under the sale of goods act as not fit for purpose and require the dealer to supply an equivalent vehicle that does work.

No-one's going to want to lose money in this situation and the dealer will get very nasty, but you've got to do your research thoroughly and stand your ground - stay calm but fight for your rights.

Re. the Isofix support leg - can't you take the lid off the floor box and stand the leg in the hole ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - I've just joined.

We bought a 1.6TDCi Ghia that developed the Black Smoke & Power Loss.

After taking it back to a Ford repairer who first changed the EGR valve with no impact, they discovered a crack in the fuel pipe!

Thay repaired the fuel pipe and that fixed the problem.

The car had been running at about 30mpg belching out Black Smoke for about 6 weeks before they discovered the fuel pipe problem.

The car is running very smoothly at the moment, very nippy and does about 45-50mpg.

Get your repairer to check the fuel pipe.

Hope this helps - we were in the same boat baby wise!

Good luck!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
spoovilla

just try as a last resort whoever provided the finance (if it wan't the dealer) just in case they have any clout
I know it's different circumstances but when firms go bust and people have paid on cards then they get refunds from the card provider

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, this is the third time it's gone and it's the last chance I'm giving them to fix it. I've got the letter all prepared and am going to let slip the dogs of war should they give me any problems.

WIth regard to the isofix I spoke with maxi-cosi and they say that it's still unsafe even with the removal of the floor panel. Halfords wouldn't sell me the base because of it.

Sigh - what a hell of a hassel!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quite luckily I have just met someone in my village who has a C-Max 1.6TDCi auto. She has had a new engine (not sure why) and now a new transmission. Its an 04 with 48.000 miles. She let me drive it. It drives very well no black smoke. So why mine drives like C--p I have no idea. Will be visitng Invicta Ford.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I took my car back to Invicta as a friend in the village has a car same as mine which runs perfectly no black smoke no holding back. Invicta had it for 2 days and changed the EDF valve but were ordering EMU.The EMU came in last Tuesday and were fitted made no difference.They have a CMax on the forcourt that runs without problems.They swapped the EMU's the forecourt one runs ok mine still like C--p. They have spoken to Ford who say it could be a problem with the gearbox.As the service manager was not in last week I am still driving my holding back black smoke CMax.Waiting for Invicta's next step.Keep you posted.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
By EMU I presume you mean the main Engine Control box that run everything. If swapping the two boxes over makes no major diffreence to either vehicle then the problems has either to be one of the "sensors" feeding info into the ECU or a mechanical one

The normal diesel reason for black smoke is excess fuel. With the old mechanical linked fuel pump it was often that the "rack" was over advanced and the pump was putting too much fuel out. With Electronic Diesel Control (EDC) it could be the variable position sensor on the accelerator pedal or the pressure sensor on the common rail

Does it run "smoothly" when it is at a constant speed or does it still give out black smoke then as well?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Invicta had it in again for 4 days and adjusted something to do with the turbo. I picked it up Friday. It still does the holding back around 1800 revs as it has always done normally on an incline (any).Once past the 1800 revs drives fine.Living in a Village not always out on faster roads.Once on the open roads its great till an incline and 1800 revs.On Saturday going to cricket it went into slow mode. Had to stop to let whaterver needs to rest then its ok till the next time.Black smoke only after the holding back.Also smokes when reversing notice more when backing into my drive.. To me it as though it misses firing and then it fires with excess fuel.Not car engine minded at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi there i have the same problem and yesterday my engine light came on and fumes came in the car how are my suppose to fix it someone said i should take it on the motorway for half an hour to clean it out

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ravenger said:
I believe EGR valves on diesel engines are electronically controlled via a solenoid. EGR valves are known to get caked in deposits and stick on 1.6 and 2.0 TDCi diesels, especially if you do lots of short trips. A re-designed valve has been made available for the 2.0, I'm not sure about the 1.6. Also there's a software update for the 2.0 which cycles the EGR valve when the ignition is turned on/off, to try to prevent it sticking, and apparently you can hear the valve doing this, if the update has been installed.
This is interesting. When I turn the engine off in my car, I hear 3 or 4 definite 'clicks'. It seems completely normal, but I always wondered what caused it. Maybe that is what it is doing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hate to bring back old boards but its better then making a new one of the same subject. I'm getting the slight hesitation on the press of the gas and a puff if black smoke. Can we or has anyone tried to blank the EGR??

21 - 40 of 46 Posts