Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a rear bike rack for my Cmax Ghia, has anyone got any experience with these good or bad??, ones to buy or avoid??. want to spend as little as possible really and dont want the hassle of putting them on the roof, but equally want to make sure the bikes dont fall off when on the motorway

thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi, I have a Witter that bolts to the tow ball its brilliant but only any good if you have a tow bar. I think i saw a thread on here about what racks are suitable try the search option. I remember somebody saying you need to be careful because of the plastic rear spoiler.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replys, it was ideally a rear fitting one I wanted, but dont have a towbar, and adding one would make it a expensive option. But I also was worried about the rear spoiler

·
Registered
125 Posts
Bywater:

I assume you're carrying passengers? If it's just two people then take the back seats out and get internal racks. Will also work with one bike & one rear seat passenger.

Would advise against back-racks in wet weather as your bikes will spend their life in a fine spray that will get into everything, and corrode steel parts that aren't lubricated or painted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Oh, and we've had both back-racks and roof systems from Thule. No probs with either as long as you follow the manual.

Try roofbox.co.uk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replys, unfortuntely most the time i will be carrying bikes i will have a full car, so it has to be a rear rack i'm afraid. was there a particular rear model rack that you used, its just that most racks say suitable for most veichles which is a bit on the genera side!!!

thanks again

·
Registered
125 Posts
FWIW we've had a Thule 9103/4, but to emphasise *has never been used on a C-Max* but on our other cars.

I'd try to avoid ones that rely on straps going under the back of the car - the Thule one above meant we could open the boot without taking the racks off.

Why not give a few companies a ring. Halfords can get things in and they should have a decent returns policy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts