Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking to buy used C-Max II, 2012-2015 (before the facelift).

I have two kids, one dog and one wife. We all like the looks of the car, reviews are good, and this one fits our budget.

We do about 10-15k km per year, 85% in the city (home - kindergarten - work), short distances (under 10km per drive), and travel couple times per year with our dog.

I'm currently driving Suzuki SX4, 1.6 petrol, and all my previous cars were petrols. I understand most of these C-Maxes are diesel, and I still have mixed feelings about that, but it's not a hard no.

So what would be the best engine option? What to look out for? What to avoid? Manual or automatic?

I'm used to stick, but automatics can be nice. Not a preference tho. I'd rather save some fuel if the consumption is noticeable, or avoid some extra services.

I know I must have cruise control. I've seen you can buy just the buttons, and I've read that you can plug them and activate the option via pc.

Is this true, and does it depends on general trim level? Like if I don't have electric rear windows, the car is shite and there is no chance that I can just add cruise.

Or things like keyless entry, push to start, folding mirrors, navigation, bluetooth, DRL... ?

What is possible and rather easy/affordable to add so it can be ignored when selecting the used car, and what is a deal breaker?

Just for the calculation assume there is a C-Max scrapyard nearby and labour is free.

It would be great to get some feedback, inputs, advices from current and past owners. Sorry if there's lots of questions - I just know that whatever I buy now, I will drive it for the next 5 years at least, so I wanna make sure it's the right one.

Thank you for your time to read all this, and extra thanks in advance for any reply!

Cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Nemanja, it looks like you are in Serbia from the flag that appears next to your name. Apologies if I'm wrong.

The specifications in your country are likely to be different to our (UK) specification. Our middle specification Titanium has all of the features you mention, apart from navigation which is a common option. The lowest specification is the Zetec and it doesn't have any of them (apart from navigation, also as an option).

For your short journeys a petrol might be the better option, if the 1.0 is available I understand it's economical, but I don't know if the auto gearbox is available with it.

If you confirm where you are and what options you have available there might be others who can comment on those options. My last C-Max was a 1,8 petrol and it was quite heavy on the petrol for the motorway trips I regularly take.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's right, I'm from Serbia.
We have Titanium here as well, and most of cars on our roads are from Swiss/Germany.
But sometimes there is only cruise control, sometimes only push to start etc.
It's weird.
For the engine, I've read somewhere that petrol before 2014. had issues with cooling and overheating, and 1.6 lacks power?

Also, what are the differences between Sync 2 and 3, and how to tell them apart?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Don't buy an auto. It will be a Powershift and, at that age and without warranty, has the possibilities of being a money pit. Just Google for details. If a lot of your journeys are short like you say, go for the 1.6 petrol. It is well thought of as a reliable engine. Economy and power are not great but it should not cause you any issues. If you are feeling brave, go for the 1.0 Ecoboost but you need to be aware of the issues they can have (and factor in around 80 Euros to change the degass pipe to the later version). Titanium X is the best spec but go for but, at a minimum, get a Titanium.
If you go the diesel route stick to the 2.0. The 1.6 does not seem to be thought of as a good engine when you start reading up on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why brave for 1.0?
80€ isn't a problem when buying a car, I'm leaving at least 500 in the budget for after the purchase.
What are the issues with these smaller engines?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just crossed my mind while watching used cars, is there a chance that I can do facelift on pre 2015 models myself?
Like if i get the bumper and headlights, will they fit with the rest of the car and the hood?
Is it bolt off bolt on?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The 1.0 is a good engine (my daughter has a Focus with one). The trouble is it runs very hot and when it looses coolant it will warp the head and block. Lots of engines have been replaced here because of it. Ford got very bad press for not admitting there was an issue. Just Google Ford Ecoboost.

You could probably retrofit the facelift. Add new wings to your list, probably other bits as well. Unless you find a rear end write off in the same colour, its not worth the trouble. In the UK it could also affect your insurance premium.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, perhaps down the road, but no facelift then now.
What do you think about 1.6 petrol ecoboost 150hp engine in 2012. model?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The 1.6 appears to be a well thought of engine. I believe it is Yamaha designed but I have no personal experience of it though. I think you need to check there are no rattles from the VVT units.
There is a good website with Good and Bad of each model called Honest John. Try this link https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/c-max-2010/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts