Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I changed the car battery and now the car won't start. I get a red light engine warning after turning on the ignition (along with several yellow ones) and pressing start button with clutch and brake pedals down does nothing. Man from the AA hooked up to the OBD port and could only see fault counts, no fault codes. Then after a while couldn't even connect any more to try out further ideas. I've since purchased an OBD2 adapter for an old laptop but with this the Forscan software also can't connect, it just says to check the ignition is on, which it is. The dashboard works and shows the errors and warnings, the main one being "Engine malfunction - service now".

Does anyone have any ideas, for example could the ECU have suffered a failure during the battery change? Have got the car booked in for a Ford service in a couple of weeks (first available slot) but would like to avoid that expense if anything can be done at home.

Car is a 1.0 Ecoboost (125hp) 2013 C-Max if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hiya,
If you connected the battery earth first then live you can corrupt the ecu's disconnect the battery again Wait 5 min's then re-connect battery live first and Earth LAST hopefully this will solve your problem.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you connected the battery earth first then live you can corrupt the ecu's disconnect the battery again Wait 5 min's then re-connect battery live first and Earth LAST hopefully this will solve your problem.
Well you're right, I did connect the earth first and then the live. I've just tried your suggestion but unfortunately in this case it hasn't helped (worth mentioning as well that there's just barely enough clearance to disconnect the earth connector from the batter while the battery is installed). In any case the symptoms are still there - red engine malfunction light and won't start.

I'm considering taking a look at the ECU to get its part number and see if one of the mail-order repair services will look at it. I've found some videos on accessing the ECU here:
and
(FRONT FENDER LINER SPLASH SHIELD REMOVAL). Any further advice would be appreciated, of course.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I know it's difficult to connect the battery properly most people make the same mistake.
It's in the nearside inner wing front but it's protected by shear bolts that is bolts who's heads shear off when the correct torque is reached and so will need carefully drilling out.
But try disconnecting the battery earth for a longer period over night as a last resort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well ultimately the solution was very simple - I had unplugged the multi-plug from the fuse box next to the battery in order to free up the cable and have more space for getting the battery in and out. Apparently that's not actually necessary and the cable is long enough (just) to get the battery out anyway. In any case although I checked it twice I must not have seated the plug properly when reconnecting it. Giving it a firm push down before closing the lever on it did the trick and all the problems went away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts