Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are awaiting to pick up a Ford Focus C-Max 1.8 Zetec Petrol (125ps) (54 plate), i have since been reading reviews on the car and am now worried and horrified!
Alot of people have said that the car has many faults from faulty fuel gauge, rattles, non startingto the boot opening by itself whilst driving but the main one im concerned about is the total power loss whilst driving, they say that the steering and brakes go which is gonna be extremely dangerous?????????? Can anyone offer any light on the subject? Has anyone here had that problem?
Regards
Donna xXx

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hello Donna, and welcome.

Look around any 'owners club' website for any make of car and you will find enough posts to make you get on your bike and stay on it. Some individual cars of whatever make just seem to be 'bad' from the get-go. Remember that most people post on this site when something goes wrong [that's what the site is for, more or less], and not when there is nothing to report. The duratec petrol engine is the same engine that powers a million plus focuses in Europe, and has proved itself in surveys over the past 20 years to be at least as reliable as any other.

As for 'rattles and squeaks', I don't have any on my 54 plate. Faulty fuel guage, nope. It's innacurate, but it works. Boot opening, only when I say so. Total power loss - only on one petrol engine on this site (see below), and on a friends Toyota Avensis diesel [supposedly one of the most reliable cars on the road]. There are reports on this site about 'cut out' at speed, but this applies to a fault in diesel variants only. I can't say that you can't buy a 'shocker', we've all been there, but I can say that the Cmax is not known for being unreliable nor for being a death trap. My car isn't perfect - there are little things I would have liked to have seen designed differently. But I liked the car when I tested it, and I still like it when I drive it now. It starts every time, it stops every time, it goes round corners, and the doors don't fall off. Everything works as it should. I have no reason to believe nor do I expect everything not to do so for many years to come.

If you haven't seen it already, might I suggest you look at MjShort's gracious post 'Putting things right', which may ease your worries about buying a 'death trap'.

Edited by: romseyraver

·
Registered
50 Posts
hi and welcome to the site, just to put your mind at rest generally people do use this site for problems with the car but my own experience is of 3 years and 32.000 miles or pain free motoring. the car, a 06 1.8 tdci style has not missed a beat and has only had 2 front tyres replced sincei bought it new in 06 and has a average of 54 mpg since new.
i cannot applude this car enough. hope you have the same experience as myself.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hi Donna,

As others have said, most people who post on car forums are asking questions about there own problems but looking for good reviews are few and far between!

As with any car, how it was looked after before and how you look after are important.
I think to keep your mind at ease, perhaps arrange a RAC/AA check so that they can give the car a once over and perhaps check the alternator is fully working as I think that iswhere you read about the total loss of power.

These "niggles" will happen on all cars but are easy to fix (well most!) and with the help of us friendly peeps, we'll try and keep you smiling.
Yes I have had problems with the car, some that has required some HUGE money to be paid out, but then again, the price I paid for the car and how handles a family of four and safely more than makes up for that.

Enjoy the site, introduce yourself in the newbies section HEREand have fun!

SteveEdited by: lawe

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou for putting my mind at ease a little. I understand people only really post comments when they have a problem and i must say it wasn't on this site that i read all the bad reviews. This particular site had quite a few pages of bad reviews compaired to other makes i looked up.

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?mnk=204&model=912&desc=Ford+Focus+C-MAX

But im not going to be sceptical
we'll see what the car brings lol
Thanks again everyone xXx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rest assured ive had my max for 12 months and havent had the problems your reading about on certain sites,a lot of the problems seem to occur on diesels,dont get me wrong i have had problems ie a new cat and computer upgrades but it is a great car,by the way,make sure the catalytic converter is sound because if its a 1.8 petrol its a ford part only and about £800 without fitting

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Wayne, we have a galaxy at the moment, 2000 face lift model and its been fab, starts everytime and has only just had a new inter cooler because the other one split!
How do we know if the cat is 'sound' on the c-max? Its got a full service history so that gives me some reassurance.
xXx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine had a full history,the cat had collapsed inside so i was unable to tell by looking at it,luckily the warranty covered it after a lengthy discussion,im not trying to scare you but to make you aware,get an AA check on it then you may have some cover.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much does it cost for an AA check? I have some sort of RAC cover with my bank account lol would they do the same thing? xXx

1 - 10 of 10 Posts