Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2004 Ghia 1.8lt in Greece (LHD).
I was wondering if there is an automatic gearbox for my vehicle. Notice that it's not the tdci engine. If there isn't, which options would I have, because I love my car and I would hate to sell it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look, I only have this car and I couldn't afford byuing another one for my wife. So with her having trouble changing gears, I'd prefer seeing what other options there would be. That's the "ABSOLUTELY NEEDED" situation.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I think what Richard is saying is that you can get a auto box on the cmax but the MPG would suffer alot and that the cost to replace the manual box to auto would be horrific

The other point is that Auto boxes on these type of cars are few and far between so you really need to hunt one down.

HTH

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife thinks that if she would have to stop the car when she's going up on a hill then she couldn't start it over going up again. She has been driving for about a year now and she's not that of an expert driver. So, my best option, apart from buying another car, is to change (if that's possible) the gearbox.
My question was if there is an auto gearbox for the 1.8 petrol engine? I know there is one for the diesel (tdci). Thanks a lot for your interest in my "problem".

·
Registered
250 Posts
melissourgos,

Thanks for the reply. I like the Greeks and I love Greece, and I know from experience that, when you say 'hill', you really mean 'mountain'. Because of this, you do not want an automatic Cmax anywhere near where you are, for all sorts of reasons. Even if you could find an auto box and get it fitted, the cost would be prohibative in relation to your 'problem'. You have a great car, and I am sure the verdict of everyone here would be not to tinker with it.

We get quite a lot of questions regarding the 'cost/benefit ratio' of wives on this site. It does seem go against the tenet of the sort of 'ancient wisdom' of which Greeks are justifiably proud to get an auto box fitted because of an inclination. Surely the answer lies in more training and practice for your better half, or, failing that, the purchase of a robust donkey. Out of interest, is this 'problem' only apposite to your wife, or is it common to all Greek women?

Seriously, I expect your wife is a perfectly good and able driver, who simply needs some confidence in the face of some pretty daunting situations. Having driven in Athens myself I think she is doing well to have got into the car in the first place. How much are a few extra driving lessons going to cost you compared with your proposed modification.

Please let us know when your wife gets up that hill.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for that extensive reply. My wife has her driver's license since 2000. In January 2008 she took the car with the kids and went for a drive, without telling me anything. Since then she hadneverdriven a car at all (only the instructor's of course). So I couldn't say that shehas any luck of confidence. Women are hard for us to understand (Melissourgos theory). Anyway, my opinion is that all women have the same type of brain and they want their conviniense, no matter how. That's for all women whether they are Greek or British or...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hmmm. Well I agree with you about 'understanding women' - quite impossible in my opinion, but what happened in January 2008?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like, she gathered all her courage and decided that she could do it. Now you'll tell me why she can't do the same thing with the gears. Well, only God knows.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts