Ford C-Max Forum banner

Anyone a BTCC fan?

4K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  lawe 
#1 ·
I am myself and was wondering if anyone else is?

I've just read that Ford will be back in the BTCC next year, 2 independant entries by the team Arena Motorsport, they will be using 2 Focus ST hatchbacks.
Will be great to see Ford back in the BTCC.

#3 ·
When did you finish working in the BTCC, I first started watching it in 1994 when it was the best touring car championship in the world. All the best drivers were here and the cars were spectacular to watch, always on the edge.
Totally agree that the super touring days were better but the raacing in the new era BTCC is still very good, it just doesn't have the same depth of quality of teams or drivers anymore.

Do you go to any races?

#7 ·
BTCCprovides agood day at the races, but have to agree that the days when RS500's and M3's screamed about where better than today. Who would have though they would contemplate racing that huge T5 850!!

Great to hear that there will be some ST's in the field, but will that not be a name only ST, as they can't use the 2.5, only a 2.0 4 cylinder.

Wonder if the rumours of Volvo returning are true, me thinks that the C30 would use that same engine.

#8 ·
No doubt there will be some reliability issues to begin with as there usually are with new cars, but hopefully Arena which are a very good team can sort them quickly.

Your right about themnot being able to use the 2.5 5 cylinder engine, but if they can reduce the capcity to 2 litres then i think they can use the 5 cylinder engine still. this is what Vlovo do with the C30 in the STCC, which irrc is run to the same regulations as the BTCC.
Hopefully they can use the 5 cylinder as it would sound great

#9 ·
I stopped working on them in 98.Also worked on Volvo 850 estates & saloons (great fun to drive).Worked in Auson Ford Falcons for a couple of years at the great race (Bathurst) & on Le Mans Bentley team for two years inc winning then on to the Audi winning teams.The BTCC drivers of my time were always up for a laugh and many pranks have been played on eveyone (Cleland )especially.These days they take it far too seriously.I really miss it.I`ve not been to any race for a couple of years (I`d be too tempted to get stuck in).Still watch on telly though.

#10 ·
MetalMicky08 said:
I stopped working on them in 98.Also worked on Volvo 850 estates & saloons (great fun to drive).Worked in Auson Ford Falcons for a couple of years at the great race (Bathurst) & on Le Mans Bentley team for two years inc winning then on to the Audi winning teams.The BTCC drivers of my time were always up for a laugh and many pranks have been played on eveyone (Cleland )especially.These days they take it far too seriously.I really miss it.I`ve not been to any race for a couple of years (I`d be too tempted to get stuck in).Still watch on telly though.
How jealous am i of you
especially as you have worked in v8 supercars as well, i love watching them on the tv.
Which did you prefer working on, super touring, v8's or le mans?

#11 ·
V8`s cos I`d got a comp licence,I was able to test em as well
.I only got that after my time on the BTCC`s.Yes,I did get to drive one around Mt Panorama,that was the best,especially going over the top of the mountain & down conrod straight,shame there`s a chicane in there now

#12 ·
MetalMicky08 said:
I did get to drive one around Mt Panorama,that was the best,especially going over the top of the mountain & down conrod straight,shame there`s a chicane in there now

I have just turned a colour called green envy

#17 ·
Yep watch & record every time.I can only get them on C5 so the coverage is hit & miss.I worked for an independant team with help from TWR.I hope to get there for bathurst in 2010,if I do I`ll get loads (& I mean loads) of pics & send you some,maybe some goodies as well.Can`t promise though,it all depends on my health.

#19 ·
If you get over there & get to a race,get to the circuit on Thursday & stay till Monday.There`s so much going on and the V8`s race over 2 days.Plus there are support races which are just as good.The vibration & the noise of the V8`s will live with you forever.You might even get lucky & get a run around the track as a passenger.You have GOT to do that.
I have loved all V8 motors for many years & I love the V8 in my RangeRover.It`s getting on a bit now & I need to rebuild the engine some time next year.
Cheers
MM

#20 ·
The v8's sound amazing on tv so god knows what they must sound like when you are there at the circuit.

Its a dream of mine to own a car with a V8 engine, i'd love a vauxhall vxr8 which are on autotrader for under £20k at the moment, but i'll have to wait a few years til i'm in my 30's when the insurance should be a bit more affordable.

#21 ·
Holden are bringing out a special edition of the HSV.It`s called the W427.It costs £70,000 in Aus money,they are only building 427 & none are coming to the UK.W stands for Walkinshaw (as in Tom).427 is the engine size ie 7 litres.Pushes out 503 bhp & 472lb/ft torque.With the standard geargox ratios it`ll do 0-60 in 4.7 & hit 155mph.Gotta get me a go in one if I get there in 2010

#22 ·
Woo hooo.

Got a mate who works for the Motor Sport Association (MSAUK.org) and hes invited me along to the Thruxton round of the BTCC at the end of April......

Full ACCESS ALL AREAs and VIP parking too.

Means I'll get to mean the drivers andup close tothe carsin the pit lane. Means my son will be running aroundcollecting loads of autographs.

Then laterthis year we're off to Santa Pod to watch the 7000 bhp top fuel dragsters.
Edited by: R7BKR

#23 ·
Ahhh yes,vip parking.Means you park near to hospitality areas ,usually in the middle of the circuit.Then all you have to do is que for 2/3 hours to get out.
Thruxton is a fab track,I have had many a day working/racing there.Hope you enjoy your day.As for Santa pod what ever you do DON`T forget ear plugs ! Pardon ?
Enjoy both days
MM

#24 ·
Oh joy..... queuing for 2 -3 hours with two over excited 9 year old in the car.... Definitely looking forward to that.....
NOT

It should be worth it though. As haven't been since the Cleland days.... in his Vauxhall Cavalier.

#26 ·
Never really followed BTCC as TV Schedules moved around alot in the past and with new entrants to the family meant alot of things went out of the window.
But now things have settled and the boys are growing up means I can now rekindly the old flames and BTCC seems to be kicking in again, thanks to ITV4.

One sport that we have been looking forward to is Monster Jam. Hmm perhaps a seperate thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.