Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought for everyone

But drivers who have splashed out on a new motor recently thanks to the Government's ‘scrappage' scheme are already facing a costly technical upgrade – because their radios will soon be obsolete.

Most new cars are still fitted with traditional FM radios which will be useless when the Government turns off the analogue signal and switches over to digital in just five years' time.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196002/Bought-new-car-Sorry-radio-won-t-work-years.html#ixzz0LJ6DZNwk&C

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
As I see it,the cheaper alternative is a DAB ipod or sat nav.
There is a system made by Pure. It is called Pure Highway in car DAB.You get 20 DAB stations & you can also listen to an ipod or mp3 through it.
It costs about £79 & you can get it from Argos cat No 500/5983.
I have some Argos vouchers & am thinking of getting one of these Pure adapters in the next couple of weeks.If I do I`ll let you know what it`s like.
MM

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Interesting test,how much would an in car system be for a C-Max? Most of us have the ford unit,so to have a dab after market unit fitted you would need to have the correct housing £? too.This could end up being a costly experience.Lets hope that the cost of in-car systems will come down & sound quality of units like the Pure Highway improves.
I think I`ll wait now till there`s a better selection of both units & sound quality.
MM

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Again,cost will be the main issue as I`d have to get approval from `She Who Must Be Obayed`.
Would like to upgrade though.
MM

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I know,that`s why I`ll leave it a year or two.But,it always helps to have some ideas for future reference.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does seem as though you have to change the aerial as well and we know the problems that was causing at least one person

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
A new fascia with cubby hole, ISO leads, leads for the remote controlif the new head unit accepts it,will cost around £25 or without the remote control wire£15 from ebay (which I have!).

But would I want DAB?

Give it 5 years and we might have internet head units that work and a price that we consider affordable. I remember seeing a prewview of a internet radio on "Click" and thought this would be wonderful.Edited by: lawe

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
On my CarPC? It's alot of work and expense for just internet radio. I used mine for music and GPS as well as video. I'm putting a one in new C-max and I'm documenting it as I go so I'll post it up here when I've finished. My new one actually sits on top of the existing Ford wiring (to avoid warranty breaches) and plugs into the standard Ford headunit so you still have the CD, phone and radio without the need to start the computer up.

Should be a couple of weeks yet but it's alot more flexible than a standard headunit.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I must admit be being somewhat
about these new types of radio. Internet, DAB, satellite, HD radio, etc. Is Ford giving any sort of a lead on this? Ironically I spent the last day of the Ashes listening to TMS in my CMax on trusty old AM because the reception on my DAB radio was so poor, and the Internet radio supplied by the Iplayer was worse because of persistent buffering problems
Does anyone know what type of radio will be fitted to the new Iosis? And whether Ford might be thinking of supplying a corresponding radio that can be simply retro-fitted to older models? It would make sense, given the digital change-over, so I expect the answer will be a no, then
?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Let me help....This is my interpretation someone please jump in if I'm wrong....

Internet radio can be received anywhere with an internet connection and the suitable hardware. I can't think of a HU that supports internet radio at this moment in time.
DAB is a digital form of radio that allows higher qulity sound to be transmitted than FM. This is the one that is getting bigger in this country and the one you'll need in a few years time.
Satellite is a US based radio system and, unsurprisingly uses satellites to transmit the data and is normally subscription based.. It's not available in this country.
HD radio is again a US technology that transmits similar to FM but contains higher quality and more information.

DAB radios for C-Maxs are already options now. You just have to go to Ford and order the new radio from the parts department. It comes with bluetooth and USB support and with a price tag of£500 as a factory option I'd expect to pay £600-700. I would be strongly surprised if it wasn't retrofittable.

Iosis was the concept car that the new model was based on....it's not actually going into production. Correct designation for the new C-Max is C-Max Mk2 or C-Max Grande.

Hope that helps

1 - 20 of 23 Posts