Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just had Green Flag out to my broken 2.0 TDCi Ghia 04 C-Max.

The battery warning light came on earlier, along with a warning message on the console regarding Limited Electronic Parking Brake Function.

The Guy put his meter across the terminals of the battery and it showed 11.8V - said it should be between 13.5 and 14.5

He then felt around the alternator and burned his fingers, cus it was so hot, despite only been running for a couple of mins, after previously being switched off for over 2 hours.

He then tried to get a reading from the alternator and managed to only get a reading of <1 Volt.

He has concluded that the alternator is completely knackered and said he has never seen one go pop like that.

I am sure he is unaware of the so called Smart Charging system on the C-Max, so please can anyone confirm whether his assessment of the alternator failure is correct.

The car had the full diagnostic computer check done at the Ford Dealer only 3 weeks ago and nothing was mentionned of any faults around the area of the Battery, Alternator, Smart Charging so it really does appear that the fault has literally just happened.

Could not have come at a worse time, so I will be ringing our the local independent garages on Monday to get it fixed a.s.a.p.

What are my chances of getting Ford to cough up some of the costs as the vehicle is only just 4 years old and the alternator problem does seem fairly common.

Many thanks in anticipation

Matthew

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have just had the same problem on my 05 1.8 ghia c-max, i have took it to a local garage and they have done a diagnostic programme on it. it turns out to be the alternator at fault and a crankshaft sensor so garage are repairing now for the lovely sum of £300 . ive only had the car 3 weeks !!! what a nice start !! but yes my alternator was red hot and whining alot. battery only lasted 2 more days before it wouldnt start so be carefull lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi.Just had the same problem with my 54 plate 2.0 tdci.The alternator was red hot,the battery light came on for about 2 hours then went off.Turns out the front bearing was buggered.£170 LATER and a new alternator.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Had to replace mine on my 53 2.0TDCI last Sept.I`d only had car 3 weeks.Ford said it was because the bluetooth system had been fitted incorrectly.I got new alt from local spares shop & had it fitted all for £170.Since found out that bluetooth system was a Ford one & had been fitted by them!As car was bought from independant trader,sold as seen,I had no chance of cash help.Otherwise car brilliant.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My battery light and EPB warning message came up on the dash yesterday afternoon just after I started the engine and was the same again after stopping. A test across the battery showed just over 11 volts so seems it is not charging. Reading above it looks like I'm in for an expensive weekend!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2.0 diesel 2004 with a new alternator, turns out if you change the fuel filter or if theres a fuel leak and dont put anything underneath to catch any spillage it goes directly into the alternator !! and buggers it up , beware
scim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts