Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently have had a whining coming from somewere in the engine bay.

I have had a number of people look at the car each of them have come up with a different problem that it may be.

I was informed yesterday that it sounds like the alternater is the most likely problem.

Well today the problem got dangerous and I mean dangerous.

The car while I was driving shut down with no warning at all.

I lost steering , accelaration , breaking everythink the car just went dead.

I have no idea what is wrong with the car at the minute as ford are sopposed to look at it tommorow.

I will however put what the problem is on here as what happened to me today could cost someone there life as it was dam right dangerous.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I've moved the post to the main message area, more suitable there. But will move it when you have a answer.

I do think that I might of read about this happening to someone else, though I think that was in a Focus.
I'll have a trawl and see, but the alternator does ring some bells...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jesus! What the ****'s the matter with your motor? Thank goodness you're ok. Really look forward to see what ford says tommorow. Your post does not fill me with confidence regarding driving my car. I thought this sort of catastrophe only happened to diesels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
This happened to me twice when on the Motorway when I had a Mondeo diesel. Real scarey stuff. Fortunately I managed to coast to the hard shoulder on both occassions.

I seem to recall it was the EGR valve needing replacing?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personnally i would not of driven a car with a suspected fault that was not rectified. you should of got the car checked out first, properly. i'm happy to hear that you are ok though a little shaken. after all would you get on a airliner if the engineers suspected a fault with the engine or turn on a electrical item that was giving off a burning smell?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
If when it all failed you got no warning lights come on then i suggest it might be the main fuse link adjacent to the battery

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually took the car to a garage as soon as the noise started and had it looked at and was told the car was safe to drive.

I then informed ford what was going on and was told to take it to them.

I took the car to them and told them what the problem was.

They then were to busy to help me and did not think there was much wrong with the car on me explaining it to them before hand anyway.

I then drove home and put the car away.

I today needed to get the car cleaned as it is having a paint issue sorted out so it needs to be clean to have that done.

I did drive the car knowing there was a fault yes.

I did this however on a garages say so that it was safe to drive anywere.

Also I drove it on the fact that ford knowing what was happening to my car did not think it was urgent enough to come out and check it for me when I was requested to go there by them.

No I would not get on a airliner if the engineers suspected a fault.

I would however get on it if they saied that fault would not cause it to crash and kill me as i am not a mechanic so you have to trust the people that are.

So if that airliner then crashes and I am hurt is that my fault or the engineers fault.

If I knew that the issues that I am having with the car would lead to the car just dying on me belive me I would not have driven it at all.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks lawe.

I think to be honest it may be the alternator as the battery has being going flat alot.

I also put the car into test mode and looked to see if the battery was charging and according to the reading it was not.

If the alternator fails will that cause the car to go dead as I have never experienced a alternater go before.

I will phone ford tommorow and see what they say and post it when I can

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ihave experienced that too. turns out it was a alternator failure. If you are getyting it done at fords get a software update too......

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
An alternator failing should normally just put the charge warning light on and you'd notice lights getting progressively dimmer. It ought not to cause everything to stop just by itself

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have had a problem with the battery going flat alot lately.

The thing is I dont use the car that much now as I keep having issues with it.

I have however used it the last few days and then the noise started.

I today left it running while I was clening it then all of a sudden the car just died on me.

I then had to jump the car before I drove it and after a few minutes the car then just died on me again.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have now spoke to the guy at ford who saied the following.

It does sound like the alternator has gone but he saied that there also is somethink called a smart charge system on the car that may be at fault.

He has told me the more common problem with the car is the alternator and and has advised me to get that replaced first as that is the most likely problem.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The car is now fixed and the problem was the alternator.

I went to a place in stechford in the end that reconditions stuff and the cost of the alternator was £75 plus my old one.

A freind of my brother in law fitted it for £65 so all together it has cost £135.

I think I had a lucky escape this time.

I was told it could have being the smart charge system and was informed that , that is a very exspensive fix.

I asked the guy what do I do if that goes and he replied Buy a box of matches mate.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Glad it's sorted now mate and for cheaper price than I thought!
I'll move the post to tech and and Alternator to the heading if thats ok?

Steve

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes Mate I think I got lucky this time around. I did alot of ringing around (well the wife did )

We were quoted from £95 up to £202 for a reconditioned alternator from various spares shops.

That included them having the brocken alternator aswell.

I was quoted £172 for a new alternator from ford and it was just under £300 if they supplied and fitted it.

I was quoted £210 from my local garage and £50 would be added onto that as I wanted the old alternator back so I could get it reconditioned.

so that meant they were not much cheaper than ford so i gave them a miss.

In the end I got one from a place in stechford that reconditions loads of stuff. I was charged after mt brother in law haggled alot £70 plus my old one.

I was lucky to find a freind of my brother in laws who removed the brocken alternator and refitted the new one for £65 outside my house.

I cant moan at that

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
As you can see, the title has been changed with full knowledge and support of MJ.
Yes, what happened was scarey and I think we would all feel the same if it happened to us.
I can only say that out of all of this, it has highlighted that maybe those who own a Mk1 should perhaps check the alternator to see if it charging and that all is well in that department.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The same thing happened to me with me 18 month old baby and my 4 year old child in the car! This happened in December, it was the alternator draing the battery,I had this repaired at the cost of £260 as my warrenty was up and to my joy the same thing happened again only yesterday but thankfully I did not have my children in the car.

This I have found is a common problem with the car and is extremely dangerous and it is something that I feel Ford should warn people about. You have my sympathy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts