Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone, I have had my C-MAX 1.6 TDCI for about 6 months now. Although its done over 100k miles its costing me a fortune. I have read loads on this forum about the alternator packing in. I have this problem now but not sure if its the altenator ,battery, both, or even somthing else. The battery went very low so i got all the symtoms on the dash ie, abs steering failure then complete engine failure (wont start) When i put the battery on charge the car runs fine for a short while until battery drains again. I have tested alternator and it does have an output, Also no indication on dash of any problem. I have checked the alternator clutch and the inner part is turning fine so could the alternator still be faulty? The battery is a motorcraft with the little round condition indicator. This was red, i am currently charging the battery off the car (i have my radio code lol) this indicator is now turning slightly green/yellow round the edge but still mostly red. I would really appreciate your views on these problems, cheers. Edited by: Bellman

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Hi Bellman,it does seem to suggest the alt has gone bad,that`s why the batterry won`t hold a charge.You are doing the right thing charging the batteryas long as you give it a trickle charge and leave untill fully charged.
How long has the battery been in? & what age is your car? Do you know if it`s had an alt change at all?
MM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. The car is a 2004, its possible the battery is the origional one but not sure as i have had the car 6 months. I cannot see a date of maufacture on batt . Alsothe battery has been charging about 5-6 hours now and has bubles coming up (it has screw of tops) Same with the alternator it actually looks pretty new but again cannot tell age. I just hope its not the smart charge system. When it stops raining i will remove the alternator and try get a look inside it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Pretty sure it`s not smart charge.I have a 53 plate 2004 2.0 TDCI with 74,000.I had to change the alt not long after I got it (22 months ago) & has been fine since.I do give the battery a trickle charge every 3 months as I don`t do great distances,only short stop/start runs with the occ blast to Sheffield & even rarer run to Devon.I have found if I don`t run it for a week (especially when the weather`s cold) I do find it turns over slowly ,but is ok after that (then I`ll charge it as a matter of course).
Best of luck
MM

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the alternator today and all iswell up to now. Opted for one from the local ford dealer £160 exchange (Lookers) I could have however got one from a local factors for £118. This C-max also only does short trips, I have one of those 12v solar panels that plug into the lighter so will start using it. At least the dash has plenty of room for the solar panel to sit on, ideal for trikle charging.
Edited by: Bellman

·
Registered
336 Posts
hmm might be an idea for my wifes car, a renault scenic that has loads of electrics and she does a mile to the shops and a mile back might keep the battery topped up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed the alternator today and all iswell up to now. Opted for one from the local ford dealer £160 exchange (Lookers) I could have however got one from a local factors for £118. This C-max also only does short trips, I have one of those 12v solar panels that plug into the lighter so will start using it. At least the dash has plenty of room for the solar panel to sit on, ideal for trikle charging.
Edited by: Bellman
Thanks.. I have been searching right method for trickle charging and glad you shared it out..

·
Registered
271 Posts
Personnel opinion, I would have tested the Battery before changing the Alt. The ECU has alternator diagnostics associated with charging and should have a Bat light on if the Alt is not charging. If the Battery will not hold a charge the Alternator will still try to charge it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Probably a bit late for this info' now, but I'll post it, in case it's of any use.
IIRC you can tell if its a smart charge alternator by;
*if it has two wires going into the connector (on back of alt.) its 'NOT' a smart charge
* if it has three wires to the connector (on back of alt.) then it 'IS' smart charge.
That's my rule of thumb till somebody smarter corrects me.
Also bear in mind that smart charging Alts are controlled by the ECU and have 'on and off' periods dependent on the state of battery charge. So the old test of multimeter to battery terminals, rev her up and you should see the voltage change won't work on a smart charger if its in 'Off' mode.
Many a good alternator has been changed because whoever tested it didn't realise this, garages included.
'D'

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
that's why alternator check is best with the heavy current consumption (H/Lights heated screen etc on) & see if you still get the approx 14½V

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed the alternator today and all iswell up to now. Opted for one from the local ford dealer £160 exchange (Lookers) I could have however got one from a local factors for £118. This C-max also only does short trips, I have one of those 12v solar power systems that plug into the lighter so will start using it. At least the dash has plenty of room for the solar panel to sit on, ideal for trikle charging. Edited by: Bellman
Thanks.. I have been searching right method for trickle charging and glad you
shared it out.
Thanks for sharing out option...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts