Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm a new member on here. I'm having a lot of hassle with my alarm going off for no reason with the dash registering that the bonnet is open when it isn't and hasn't been opened for a while. I've searched the forum and i'm quite surprised to find that no else has experienced a similar problem. I've dis-connected the bonnet switch but this means that the dash constantly thinks the bonnet is open. Does the alarm still arm? The central locking still dead locks but don't get the hazard confirmation flash. Any help and hints would be gratefully recieved!! It's a 54 plate 2ltr TDCi Ghia model by the way.
Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey there,

I'm glad to see I'm not alone here. It's taken a while to find someone with the same problem. Have you managed to find anything out about it yet?

Here's my story (I'll be brief);

1. Bought 1.8 Zetec about 3 weeks ago - no problems.
2. The following week it wouldn't start - jump leads attached... fine.
3. Following week - Returning from airport after collecting visitors - Engine System Fault - reduced power.
4. RAC - misfiring - spark plug totally melted (he couldn't believe it) - changed - sorted!

I'm getting to it dude... hold on...

5. Bonnet Open warning starts - reset on the lever - on again - check bonnet, fine and locked...
6. Alarm goes off at night and less often during the day.
7. Now... Luggage Compartment Open - boot unlocks itself. GEt out f the car - open then shut (hard!)... ok.
8. Issues repeat from point 5-7.

I don't know what is more annoying - the bonnet warning, boot opening or not sleeping because of the stupid alarm going off.

Ford say they'll look at it for £80 + VAT per hour. An auto electrician says £35 per hour and he's convinced he'll be able to fix it - by taking all the doors off and finding a potentially dodgy sensor.

I'm really unhappy with this car, it's a 2004 and has done 60k miles (My previous car was an old R reg V.Astra and was mechanically reliable).

Cougar, are you having boot issues also?

Edited by: mistachesta

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
As to the bonnet switch have you checked for a good earth between where the wire connects to the switch and where the switch fits to the body or even that the switch is shorting to earth when it shouldn't (equivalent of when the bonnet is shut)

Don't know how much the switch is but changing it may be the answer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Richard,

Many thanks for the speedy response. I must admit from the off that my understanding of mechanics is significantly inferior to the average human!
I'm really clueless as to what I should be looking at under the bonnet to be honest.

All I can say is that the warning light comes on relentlessly and the bonnet is firmly shut, for sure.

It appears, from scouring this awesome resource, that the boot issue may be due to moisture?? But I'm only going off what other people are saying here.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Colin.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I haven't got the alarm on mine so I don't know either where the switch would be

Moisture and boots are very much a related issue (dubious pun intended)

Whilst it may not be better for your pocket it may be quicker overall to see what the auto electrician can find

·
Registered
39 Posts
You're lucky that you don't have an alarm - how ironic is that?! It's keeping me up at night I'll tell you.

I'll get the auto electriciam to have a look over it.

So far though, after only a few weeks of being a C-Max owner, I'm not overly impressed with the technology. The RAC guy said there's likely to be about 10 computers in the car...

Ford are certainly getting their money for all of this. Perhaps it's intended.

I'll report back hopefully with good news once it's been caressed by a professional.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
With mine,if I unlock the car but don`t open any door or the boot,the car will relock itself within 30 seconds.If,however I open a door or the boot this does not happen.So,if you only open the bonnet,the doors will relock again & reset the alarm which will go off cos the bonnet is open.Does this make any sense?
I always open a door & close a door before opening the bonnet as I`ve forgotten to unlock a couple of times when opening the bonnet & been rewarde by the alarm going off.
Hope this helps in some small way.
MM

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi MM,

I get what you're saying - although the issue is that the alarm goes off on it's own, mostly at night/ in the small hours and occasionally during the day.

This happens when all the doors are locked and, as you'd expect, the alarm armed. I am having to unlock whilst lying in bed and activate again because you can't lock the car without arming the alarm.

I am hoping to get this looked at, but would love it if I can deactivate the alarm temporarily to get some sleep.

Some on here suggest it may be going off because of a dodgy sensor.

The boot opening on its own is also a mystery - my research on here also points to this being a moisture issue, water affecting the micro-switch. I've tried to google this part but can't find anything. Any clues?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry you are having problems.

I changed the switch on my 2004 TDCi 2.0 Cmax. Just ring a Ford parts dept for the part number - the part number for mine was :

whole microswitch WIP Number P 12799. £26.02 inc vat

There are a whole lot of other numbers on the packet: 3M51 19B514 AC and 1 346 324. I also have the old part in the garage and can get that number for you. However they have changed the part -probably due to so many problems with it! - and when I picked it up they offered up that "is it water in the boot switch".

I am not saying that this will solve your problem but if it is shorting it could be an issue. One simple method is to take the boot panel off and pull off the connection to the boot switch. With this isolated you will need to use the key to open the boot but you could see if this issue is resolved and whether the other problems are still present.

PS I am no mechanic either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi there,

Thanks for the information.

I'll certainly give it a shot - £30 for a part isn't too bad. then again... removing the cable and opening the boot with the key isn;t an issue either... but would that not tell the darn computer that the boot is open all the time - or not?

However - did you get ford to fit the new microswitch? How much was it for labour if so?

Seems a few people here suggest taking the thing our and drying it with a hairdryer is an option too - but... how do I get it out?

Sorry for all these questions, but I just don't have a clue where it is, what it looks like or how to remove it.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The boot switch is the rubber switch that you press upwards to open the boot.

Although it is a microswitch the part is the complete boot switch - that is the rubber surround, plastic rocker, the micro-switch and cable.

To access you need to take off the boot panel (inside; two screws plus a whole number of clips - you need to be forceful but careful). This will give you access to the connector to the switch. To go further you need to undo 4 bolts which releases the tail section including the switch and number plate lights, remove the rubber surround and push the switch out by pressing in 2 plastic retainers. Then fit new switch using some sealant to prevent further probs. Did it myself.
I would isolate the switch first and see if this solves some of the problems. If so you can proceed to replacement (panel already off) and if not then you just need to replace the panel. Taking the switch out of the loop does not effect the computer as it is normally"open" (in a switch sense).

Hopethis helps. Let me know if you need further guidance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Awesome. I'm a bit worried I'll get this all wrong, but I'll give it a go.

Great bit of guidance there mate, I appreciate it.

Thinking about this - it'd be cool to have a set of DIY guides for this kinda thing. Obviously people are having a similar issue with the C-Max. I'll try to document my efforts and perhaps get a document together with photos to illustrate step by step how it's done - with your advice here it's worth having a go. I might put up a post suggesting this and hope the moderators get a library section together for this.

I hope I don't break anything.

Cheers.Edited by: mistachesta

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good luck.

By the way the screws are TORX screws (star shaped head) - just another thing to make it awkward - and if you do get to the stage of un-doing the bolts 2 of them are easier with a bar on socket bit. Oh joy of joy!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isn't it bizarre the fact that the alarm only seems to go off in the small hours of the morning with these faults!! Disconnecting the bonnet switch does stop the alarm going off but obviously the car thinks the bonnet is open all the time. I am considering just bridgeing the connector to see if it is the bonnet switch or a problem within the wiring. Will price up a switch this weekend but have a horrible thought that it is all integral with the bonnet catch. Is this right? Can't see that being cheap if that is the case.
Haven't had the boot switch problem (yet!) so unfortunately can't comment on that one.
Apart from this minor prob though I am very happy with the car, the torque from the 2.0ltr TDCi engine is great. Has anyone tried one of those diesel tuning boxes in one of these yet?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Update:

I previously reported issues with the bonnet warning light coming on ad-hoc, and then the luggage compartment warning giving me a hard time... finally the boot just started to open all on its own...

Then... the weather picked up a bit, a little warmer overnight, not so damp as it was in early February... well, those issues stopped, at least until the April showers came.

The alarm hasn't been going off recently (touch wood) and the bonnet is not causing issues.. it's just the boot now.

Process of elimination = replace the microswitch and get some sealant around it. I'll just need to find someone to do that for me as I don't fancy having a go!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Glad you got those problems sorted..... well at least almost all of them

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with mine. Yes, it is weird getting the alarm going off at night (although mine goes off slightly more in the evening). I'm sitting here now with the damn thing unlocked as I'm fed up with keep turning it off. It happened ever since I had my MoT done last week.

Gutted that there were no more updates on this as to how it went for you guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the end I just ended up replacing the bonnet switch which solved the problem. It was about £80 fitted from a ford dealer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I replaced the micro switch in the boot (grip). It was totally knackered and as soon as it had been replaced the boot stopped opening every 2 minutes and the alarm stopped going off.

I got sick of the car for a while - got a dent in the tail, alternator packed in etc. However....

When the MOT came, all that was wrong was a bulb out and a tyre needed changing... this kinda cheered me up so I decided to have a full service (changing the alternator too) and boot switch etc.

Spent £400 a couple of months ago doing it all, but the car is now in perfect condition and I'm thrilled!

Don't get frustrated - get it fixed and don't wait ages like I did....you'll feel better!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys!

Yeah Mista - I was started to get fed up with the car but I do love it so I think you are right. Just get the jobs booked in and done. Hoping it gives me and the neighbours some respite over the Easter holiday, then I can get it booked in on Tuesday.
Pray for me!!!

Happy Easter all x

1 - 20 of 30 Posts