Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m finally posting after every other problem I’ve had with the CMAX I’ve been able to fix here just by reading your posts but on this one I’m stuck.
A few weeks ago I realised my fob wasn’t working when open and locking the doors (I have a 1.6 petrol 57 plate) I tried changing the battery and of course it didn’t work.
Took it for MOT 2 wks a go and it passed no probs
Then Wednesday I drove it and the engine light came on yellow. It’s been sat on my drive since then as I won’t be able to take it to a garage till Tuesday. This afternoon the alarm went off and I went out with the key to put it in the ignition to turn it off and the car was dead ? So alarm just kept going and going ended up lifting the bonnet and disconnecting the battery to get it to stop.
My neighbour came over and gave me a jumpstart and the battery was working again and the alarm went off .
I’m now sitting here wondering if it’s all connected ? If the fact that the fob broke and even when I tried to reprogram it by looking on here it didn’t work? Is the fact the battery’s died and the alarm going off got anything to do with the engine light coming on? It came on about 3 mths ago and I took it to a garage and they said it was just a thin tare in one of the pipes and charged me £80 for a new one ? Just wondering if I’m throwing good money after bad with this car as it seems like it’s one thing after another and I’m losing confidence in it rapidly
Please help as I don’t wanna be taken on at the garage but I need the car for work in a few weeks time

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tested the alternator? Could be over charging if the regulator has gone or undercharging and draining the battery which would cause the alarm to go off the key may simply need reprogramming which is really easy to do providing you have 1, the correct key for the module and 2, it has the chip in it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Glover
Thanks for getting back to me
No I haven’t tried that? Tbh I know the very basic with cars and my husbands useless so if there’s ever any problems I normally either look it up on here or drive it to the garage.
Do you think it’ll be ok to drive with the engine light on the garage is 8 miles away?
mechanic is a friend or a friend so I’ll mention it to him
Thanks
Hayley

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Hayley,
It depends how far your garage is from you, if it's over charging it can cause the battery to get very hot so I wouldn't go long distance. Have you got breakdown cover they should be able to diagnose the issue for you.

Thanks
Gav

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I’ve got breakdown cover but the car still starts so I can’t call them can I? Will have to check my policy. How much do you think it’s going to cost me roughly ? I get my £500 bonus on Friday and I have a feeling I know what it’ll be going on 😩

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you've got a light on the dash you can call them that's no problem I'm a breakdown Techninan lol if it is the alternator shouldn't be to expensive depends what area you are from and if you have a good mechanic if you local to Northamptonshire or MK I can recommend a mobile mechanic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks I’ll call them this morning and see what they say
I’m in Hornchurch in Essex so nowhere near Northampton.
My garage is about 9 miles away so I might just take it to the one my mate uses round the corner
Thanks for all your help will let you know how I get on
Hayley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took your advice and rung AA he’s just left after being here for more than an hour. He said that somethings draining the battery and that I’d have to take it to a garage to get them to go through the wires and see. He said if they find it quick it won’t be much but if it takes them ages to find it he don’t know how much it’ll be 😩

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took it to the garage and he said it’s to do with the alarm and sensor in the electrics trying to pair with the broken fob. Said to get another fob or to “trick” the car into thinking it doesn’t exist anymore by using the spare key not the broken fob one cause the battery will just keep draining
So is Ford the only place I can get a new fob? The mechanic said Timpsons do them but he wasn’t sure how much it would be ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts