Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

2005 Ford C-Max 2.0 TDCI

Another two problems have cropped up, this is after solving the rattly seat belt and the steering vibration problems. (see previous posts if you do not know what I am on about)

1. Aircon pump

There is a strange swish, swish, swish, pully sort of noise when the aircon is running, I have tried the fan on hot and cold without the aircon running and there is no noise, it only rears it's ugly head when the aircon is switched on. I am a bit worried that the aircon pump is on it's way out and just wanted confirmation from you guys that it is a minor problem and easily fixed, or if it a massive job, as I have 28 days left in warrenty.

2. Gear change

When changing gear in any gear it is not smooth and feels very "notchy" if I double the clucth before engaging first thensometimes it is a little smoother but overall no difference, is this fixable? it seems to change down OK and does not feel as "notchy" I did read somewhere that it could be a wire that needs tightening and was an easy fix but I could be wrong.

I have been involved in the car industry for many years and have always driven VW as company cars (self employment ruled this out to buy one though) and never, never had so many issues as I have had with the C-Max, even the wifes 2002 82,000 mile HDI 90 BHP
Picassohas had less problems, and half as many squeeks and rattles that I have experienced in that last month or two with the C-Max.

Any advise would be welcome as always.

Regards,

Edited by: burtoncustomx

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
this is from the TIS Disc

Inspection and Verification - Manual Transmission
The following checks should be carried out before repairing or installing a new transmission.
Inspection and checking for vehicles with manual transmission can be divided into three main areas.

Gear Shifting Concerns
lClutch does not operate correctly

lExternal shift mechanism.For additional information, refer to «Section 308-06A». For additional information, refer to «Section 308-06B». For additional information, refer to «Section 308-06C».

Transmission Noise Concerns
lCheck the engine and transmission mountings and check for insufficient clearance between the transmission and the body.

lAny other noise excluding shift noises.

Fluid Leakage Concerns
lCheck that the leaking fluid is actually transmission fluid and not hydraulic fluid (from the hydraulically-operated clutch) or engine oil.

lCheck the transmission fluid level. If necessary, drain off any excess fluid.

lLocate the fluid leak with the aid of a fluorescent tracer dye and an ultraviolet inspection lamp.

lClean the transmission and the adjacent areas thoroughly before road testing.

Symptom Chart - Gear Shifting
Condition(s):
oHigh-effort gearshift mechanism in all gears.

oRattling or scratching noise during gear shifting

Possible Source(s):
§Inadequate gear synchronization

Action(s) to take:
§RENEW the synchronizer hub with synchronizer ring set and, if necessary, the relevant gear wheel.
—Because of various modifications and the difficulty in estimating the degree of wear, replacement of the complete unit (as described above) is recommended.

Possible Source(s):
§Clutch does not operate correctly

Action(s) to take:
§RENEW the synchronizer hub with synchronizer ring set and, if necessary, the relevant gear wheel.
—Because of various modifications and the difficulty in estimating the degree of wear, replacement of the complete unit (as described above) is recommended.

oHigh-effort shifting

Possible Source(s):
§External gearshift mechanism

Action(s) to take:
§CHECK the external gearshift mechanism for damage. CHECK the selector shaft in the select direction by turning. The exertion of a certain amount of force in the shift direction is required due to the selector shaft detent. If no concern is determined, REMOVE the transmission. For additional information, refer to «Section 308-03A». For additional information, refer to «Section 308-03B». For additional information, refer to «Section 308-03C».

Possible Source(s):
§Clutch does not operate correctly

Action(s) to take:
§CHECK the external gearshift mechanism for damage. CHECK the selector shaft in the select direction by turning. The exertion of a certain amount of force in the shift direction is required due to the selector shaft detent. If no concern is determined, REMOVE the transmission.For additional information, refer to «Section 308-03A». For additional information, refer to «Section 308-03B». For additional information, refer to «Section 308-03C».

Possible Source(s):
§Internal gearshift mechanism.

Action(s) to take:
§CHECK the components of the transmission for damage, RENEW components as necessary.

Possible Source(s):
§Damaged synchronizer rings or inner selector mechanism

Action(s) to take:
§CHECK the components of the transmission for damage, RENEW components as necessary.

oOne of the gears can not be selected

oGear jumps out of engagement while driving

Symptom Chart - Transmission Noises

Condition(s):

oSlight whirring, rattling or metallic scraping transmission noise at 2500 to 3500 rev/min when coasting or driving without load (particularly in 2nd and 3rd gear)

Possible Source(s):
§Rotational vibration from the engine not sufficiently damped by the clutch.

Action(s) to take:
§These noises do not affect the operation and service life of the transmission.

oNoises in all gears

Symptom Chart - Fluid Leakage

Condition(s):

oFluid leakage

Symptom Chart - General Concerns

Condition(s):

oGear wheels grating when shifting

Possible Source(s):
§Damaged clutch

Action(s) to take:
§For additional information, refer to «Section 308-01A». For additional information, refer to «Section 308-01B». For additional information, refer to «Section 308-01C».

oSelected gear jumps out of engagement under normal drive conditions

oRattling noises or vibration

oGear lever feels loose

Symptom Chart - Clutch

Condition(s):

oClutch slips

oClutch juddering

oClutch not disengaging

oClutch pedal pulsating

oClutch-related vibration

oHigh-effort shifting

Possible Source(s):
§Insufficient brake fluid
§Clutch pedal free play
§Manual transmission concerns

Action(s) to take:
§Go to «Pinpoint Test ERROR»

oExcessive noise

oFluid leakage

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I a;so found this

Special Service Tool(s)

Adjuster, for Gear Lever
308-451
µ1.Remove the gear lever gaiter from the center console.
µ2.Lock the gear lever in the 3rd / 4th gear gate using the special tool (gear lever gaiter shown removed for clarity).
3.Engage 4th gear.
4.Raise the vehicle.
µ5.Note:
Only adjust the selector cable.

Release the selector cable adjuster.
6.The selector cable is automatically adjusted to the correct length.
µ7.Lock the selector cable adjuster.
8.Lower the vehicle.
µ9.Remove the special tool (gear lever gaiter shown removed for clarity).
µ10.Attach the gear lever gaiter to the center console.

·
Registered
615 Posts
i would take it back and make the most of the warrenty my air con has packed up twice in the past 6 months first my air con pump when putting it on started making a really funny soundi took it to the dealer and they told me it was on its way out so had it changed under warrenty second my condensor needed changing and another itema pipe i think all this was done under warrenty also so altogether with parts and labour this would have cost me well over £1000 if i did not have warrenty i would take it back

1 - 4 of 4 Posts