Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, is it possible to turn the front air bags off, my little un likes to ride in the front but cant find a way to do it, just thinking of his safety.

Although never quite understood why you should not have a young child in the front with airbags switched on.I have airbags in the back so dont really get the difference.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think its only "rear facing" child seats that can't go in the front.

Am pretty sure thats because they can push the car seat into the back of the passenger seat and hurt or even worse kill and very young child.

How old is your son?

Aren't the rear airbags 'curtain' ones so basically don't deploy in apassengers face?

I have a 2006 Ghia and pretty sure mine has about 7 or 8 airbags 'somewhere'
Edited by: R7BKR

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would check out as he is under 3.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Yourchildshealthandsafety/Roadandtravelsafety/DG_10037077

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/choosing/airbags.htm

Child Passengers

Always ensure that your child is in an appropriate child restraint that is suitable for the car and seat on which it is being used, and that it is securely fitted. Make sure the child is securely held by the child seat harness or seat belt.
Make sure that children travel in the rear of the car, if possible - it is safer.
Never put a rearward-facing baby seat in the front if there is a passenger airbag.
Do not put a forward-facing child seat in the front, unless there is no other choice. In this case, make sure the car seat is as far back as possible, the child seat is securely fitted and the child is securely held by the seat belt or child seat harness, keeping the child as far as possible from the dashboard. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat.
If there are side airbags, make sure that the child restraint does not rest against the door, that the child sits properly in the seat and does not lean close to, or against, the door or window. Ask the vehicle manufacturer how far the airbag comes out as it deploys and whether it is safe to use a child seat in the front.
If there are other types of airbag in the car, ask the vehicle manufacturer how far they come out as they deploy and whether it is safe to use a child seat near the airbag.
Hopefullythis helps. Best to be safe that sorry.
Edited by: R7BKR

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah thanks for that, very useful, agreed best to be safe than sorry.

Amazingisn'tit though, the thing that is meant to save lives can also hurt lives.... And surely the air bag is better than the dashboard in your face whatever age !

·
Registered
280 Posts
Got to agree with that..... My two kids are 7 and 9 and I don't let them travel in the front if I can avoid it.

Mainly because they keep messing around you the stereo.....
, the heated seats, and every other button and switch in the dash they can reach.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
On some models there is the provision to turn off the front passenger air bag with a switch in the glove box. There was I think also the option available for all (Ie factory from new)

Just to reiterate about rear facing child seets in front passenger seats whilst air bag is active. It isn't just a case of don't it is actually illegal to do so now

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers, there is not a switch in my Cmax. He always sits in the back but as he has been getting older he asks to sit in the front, so just wanted to know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts