Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all
its 3 weeks since i fitted a k&n filter to our cmax 1.6tdci {06} and what a differance!!
no more sluggishness, poor idling or cutting out!!
its runs sooooo sweet and the turbo delivers as it should whereas before it was very weak.the fuel consumption has improved dramatically.its now returning between 54 and 64 {on the display} and it was only 45ish before!! im using shell v power diesel, and not from a supermarket.
i didnt give the cmax garage space till i fitted the k&n but love driving it now!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Interesting figures. I have to ask though, what was the condition of the filter it replaced?
Or another way of asking the same thing, would a new paper element have achieved the same results?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the o/e filter was oily and almost solid black. covered in dust and general filth. its not due to be changed till 3rd service {37.500 miles}

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
Would you know why the K&N FIlter improves performance ?

Additionally is it proven that the shell & bp diesels versions of fuel are better than the cheaper supermarkets.

Any articles/websites and so fort you can guide me through.

Cheers

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have a K&N air filter fitted to my car have for months now. I purchesed it off a member on here who claimed like you it made a huge difference to performance and fuel economy. I have noticed no difference at all. In my opinion the filters are only good as you dont have to replace them. You just clean and oil them back up. I have saied this before and will say it again there a waste of money in my opinion.

·
Registered
163 Posts
interesting thread resurrection. firstly my o.e. filter was filthy when I checked it recently. very suprised to learn they are not changed as a service item until 3 yrs. ( hard to believe ford would not want to sell a filter once a year but thats how it is) have cleaned it and re fitted, for now.

regarding k-n panel filters. i am sure they will improve air flow, when new, and will certainly save filter costs long term. there is some concern though with oils contaminating the air mass sensor and for this reason i have not fitted one, so far.

turning to fuels, this is very subjective but driving c-max 2.0l tdci ( 1 year 54 zetec and coming up 6 mnths.56 ghia) my obssesive checking of fuel consumption has lead to the following personal observations.

different 'makes' vary on different days. my best tankful was from a large tesco garage. the worse has been BP .
buying the higher cost 'ultimate' or 'v-power'.fuel is a waste of money. got no discernable improvement in mpg. using them.
question the benifit of millars additive which claim increased mpg. power sport cetane booster.
have found little difference when either dosing as per instructions or none at all.

am now filling at the cheaper outlets and driving like a granny! as driving style is the main factor.
i can not find any benefits in spending on higher cost fuel. and honestly reckon k+n filter and or fuel boosters will only givethefeeling of it must be better 'cos it cost more!!

my opinion is final !! for now??

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
The panel filter is the main problem with air flow in engines due mostly to turbulent air flow within the "squareness" and "sharp" corners of the regtangular shape of the filter housing
If you look when the filter starts to get dirty that it is not regular but more concentrated in various areas
Quite a number of years ago there were modifications to the same style air box for the Cavalier SRi that involved cutting various of the internals away so as to give better air flow (smoother) which caused less manifold vacuum which meant more fuel going in which led to more( only slightly mind) power

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well i have fitted the K&N filter and it does give you more power and fuel lasts longer,would never go back to standard filter,give it a go.
Darren

1 - 8 of 8 Posts