Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys how you doing last night I was travelling to the shopping centre and of the roads I use u have to turn right at a junction to approach the road going towards dual carriageway anyway last night about 520pm I was following car in front we both indicated to turn right to go into said junction followed the slip road round then all of. Sudden he indicated right and proceeded to turn right to do a u turn it happened that fast so I turned right to try avoid then Bang we collided I ended up on grass other side of road I got out car he got out of his car he said to me what happened there I said mate you I followed you round that slip road and u indicated to turn right then went for the u turn u didn't even brake . He ended up admitting he was in the wrong we exchanged details then went separate ways how ever I did notice last night on google maps where it happened there's hatched lines in middle of road . Anyone else think his insurance might dispute or resist paying out ? Here is pics of damage to my car and a map of where it happened

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
At the end of the day he was pulling an illegal manoeuvre so you can be forgiven for not expecting him to turn there.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Good luck in getting it sorted. At the end of the day it may be argued that you should have left enough room should the car in front be driven by an idiot so you may have to accept a 50/50.

After that get a dash cam. Would help prove your case.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not sure about his insurance, but it looks like he decided he wanted to go the other direction on the dual carriageway and was going to do an illegal u-turn across the chevrons. If his insurance moan then say fine I'll go to the police about his driving then.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure about his insurance, but it looks like he decided he wanted to go the other direction on the dual carriageway and was going to do an illegal u-turn across the chevrons. If his insurance moan then say fine I'll go to the police about his driving then.
It's just a normal road mate and it's a 40mph speed limit there but that road is known for drivers attempting u turns there I dunno why . I'm deffo gonna invest in a decent dash cam after this

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good luck in getting it sorted. At the end of the day it may be argued that you should have left enough room should the car in front be driven by an idiot so you may have to accept a 50/50.

After that get a dash cam. Would help prove your case.
Paule I know what your saying but it happened that fast and he indicated right on slip road which could interpreted as signaling to come off slip road to join main road but he signalled right and went straight for the u turn and you don't expect anyone to pull that kind of move in front of you. He was driving without due care and put other drivers at risk he should've been checking mirrors signal and manoeuvre but instead he went for signal manoeuvre

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Paule I know what your saying but it happened that fast and he indicated right on slip road which could interpreted as signaling to come off slip road to join main road but he signalled right and went straight for the u turn and you don't expect anyone to pull that kind of move in front of you. He was driving without due care and put other drivers at risk he should've been checking mirrors signal and manoeuvre but instead he went for signal manoeuvre
I was not saying it was your fault just that this is the way the insurance may interpret it (especially if the other party changes his mind and will not accept liability). Even if the maneuver was illegal they may argue you should have left enough space.

You will be wasting your time reporting it to the authorities.

The bummer is that even though it is not your fault and even if the other party accepts liability, your insurance premiums will more than likely go up next time.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you've got your no claims protected you should be ok. Even though he's done an illegal move he probably wont admit liability to his insurance..
As above even though he pulled off a stupid move they will just say you didn't leave enough distance between yourself and him to stop safely. Its crap but you'll just have to take the rap for this one. Get the cam but remember they record all your own faults too, that's why I don't fancy one until they have a one touch instant delete if mr plod ever wanted to view it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you've got your no claims protected you should be ok. Even though he's done an illegal move he probably wont admit liability to his insurance..
As above even though he pulled off a stupid move they will just say you didn't leave enough distance between yourself and him to stop safely. Its crap but you'll just have to take the rap for this one. Get the cam but remember they record all your own faults too, that's why I don't fancy one until they have a one touch instant delete if mr plod ever wanted to view it.
Sorry if you know this, but bear in mind that protected NCD only protects the discount and not the premium.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Repair company contacted me today with a report said it's needing new bumper new wing parking sensors headlight fog light inner valance is needing straightened quite a bit of damage to suspension and lots of other stuff I can't remember . he said the repair cost is coming in at 5 grand he's gonna email the insurance with the report and costs see what they say .

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
Ouch!

Crossing the hatching is definitely the issue.
The Police would have pulled you for that, let alone doing a u-turn after entering a dual carriageway!
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it's a 15 plate titanium x it's only got 1300 miles on it . Like I say I don't know if the insurance company will want to repair it or write it off it's worth about 14-15k

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Write off is normally at 40% of value so for a £5k bill they will repair.

Daughter got hit by a lorry last night. It's only a 2002 Corsa so will be written off. Problem is her insurance is up at the end of the month and until it is sorted out it is treated as loss of NCB and excess. As long as the other driver owns up (as he did at the scene) we may be able to just settle it in time

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Write off is normally at 40% of value so for a £5k bill they will repair.

Daughter got hit by a lorry last night. It's only a 2002 Corsa so will be written off. Problem is her insurance is up at the end of the month and until it is sorted out it is treated as loss of NCB and excess. As long as the other driver owns up (as he did at the scene) we may be able to just settle it in time

Well the guy who caused the accident Saturday he was saying he only passed his test last year and his renewal is in February . He's in his 20s and his car is a 64 plate golf so i can imagine that if both insurance companies settle on he is liable for the accident his insurance renewal will go through the roof

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spoke to repair company today and insurer wants to repair the car . I also spoke to my insurance company and they said the other party's insurance has offered 70/30 but they haven't stated in whose favour .they also said it's very unusual to receive a offer this early and that it's still early days and their not through negotiating . I've told them I'm not accepting liability or responsibility as he performed an illegal move .

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just to throw a spanner in the works, what if he had to swerve for some reason wouldn't the result be the same, and then it be argued that you were following too closely.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts