Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 1.8 Petrol Zetecand have a problem where when I accelerate hard the car sometimes seems slightlyhesitant in acceleration (but not "jerky") - almost as if its starved of fuel or something is blocked. Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas on what it is?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
It will be more difficult to determine as it only happens some of the time
Can you get it to happen if you try accelerating in each gear and at different engine speeds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seems to happen at speeds of 50mph and above in 3/4/5 gears, typically whenacceleratinghard from a roundabout on a dual carriageway. Seems OK when engine cold (first 15 miles or so), but then the first 15 miles I drive tend to be on country roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have an 08 1.8 petrol C-Max with the same problem. Its been back to Ford 3 times and they were unable to replicate the problem. At the last service a technician drove the car on the motorway and acknowledged the problem. The car has been in today and despite the senior technician replicating the problem, it still produces no engine diagnostic fault. The advice was to 'live with it, its probably just a quirk with that car' and 'wait until it become a real problem and produces a diagnostic fault'. Reassuring words from Ford, 14k well spent!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've totally had the same problem. It's so irritating too. Not all the time, but often when I'm setting off from the traffic lights, or at junctions I make contact with the acceleration pedal and the car slowly wakes up and goes "Oh, right... yeah, go... sorry, I forgot what to do".

I did have problems with the car jerking too, which seemed to have stopped.

Anyone feel the car 'vibrating' or 'pulsing' after driving quite fast/ after long distances when stationary?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Has the operation of the idle switch on the throttle butterfly been confirmed. If it were not to operate at the correct point it would not give a fault code as both states exist as proper values

·
Registered
206 Posts
My experience with a similar fault is that the dealers are essentially clueless when it comes to diagnosing faults that they can't get the computer to diagnose for them.

(Still haven't got my car back).

·
Registered
2 Posts
You wonder how mechanics ever survived before engine management computers were introduced!!

I'm just frustrated that the local dealer have witnessed and agreed that there is a fault, yet they seem to have no interest in attempting to sort it. I will be writing directly to Ford customer services to see if they are any more interested. Let you know how we get on!!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
The problem with the engine management competency of the mechanics is I think that mostly Ford charge the dealers for their staff going on the course (or did do from what I've heard some years ago)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 07 1.8 PETROL BUT MINE ALSO HAS BEEN PINKING SOMETHING CHRONIC WITH MPG VARYING BETWEEN 22-28MPG GOING INTO DEALER WEDS GOD HELP ME

·
Registered
122 Posts
The only problem I have is when the engine is cold, need high revs when moving off otherwise clunks to a stall; OK after approx 1/2 mile. This was only an issue when new whilst getting to know the car.

At higher speeds (any temp) pulls very well, and when using the 'resume' cruise control button it accelerates very hard, very fast.Filled it with E85 a few days ago and I swear it's even better off the mark, although Ford haven't published any figures to prove this.

The engine never 'pinks' although my old focus did. I think this is due to the timing adjustment which changes depending on the concentration of bio-ethanol detected. Remember 5% is mixed with normal petrol now, I wonder if this makes a difference as to why more engines appear to 'pink'? Just sharing my thoughts.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
most fuel inj engines I thought had "Knock "sensors which back the ignition advance off when Knock / pinking is detected so it shouldn't make a difference as to the Octane rating of the fuel however much TEL is there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts