Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I drive a C max 2016 plate.
I’ve recently had all pads and discs done all the way around and a new front caliper. However a week later my left caliper and rear drivers side caliper have been locking and completely destroyed my pads and discs. I took it back to the garage after paying nearly £700 for the work and they’ve said it’s not their fault as they believe it to the the master cylinder. However after taking it to a different garage they have stripped it completely down and said they believe it to be a fault with the ABS pump, they don’t work on this and have advised me to take it to someone who can complete the work. Now my question is, would I not have a ABS light on the dash? Is it a common fault? I’m just really scared as to have this replaced I’m looking at around £1400 all in and I just don’t want to spend more money on something that might not be the problem.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Go for a 2nd hand abs pump. Also has the brake fluid ever been changed? I suspect that when the pads and caliper are changed and the brakes bleed that fluid getting pushed around the system may dislodge small particles of seal or o ring and these make there way to critical parts like the abs unit. Just my opinion of course but its not the first time an abs unit has failed shortly after brake work involving fluid change/bleeding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Take this seriously! My 65 reg C-Max began activating its hill-start braking occasionally when facing downhill. It became suddenly serious on the M5 when I had to touch the brakes, and they kept on - not fully, but enough to make me pull onto the hard shoulder. Two opposite wheels were hot, and wouldn't release. Got recovered to home (expensively). Garage removed ABS pump and sent it away for repair. Came back with same fault; sent to repairers again! Three weeks off the road. Not sure if it is fully better yet. The consequences of the brakes suddenly coming on on a smart motorway could be horrible - even fatal. I shall switch off the hill-start function when I find out how! This isn't a problem to be taken lightly! If anyone knows hw to switch it off, I would be grateful!
Pete. Bridport
65 C-Max.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Take this seriously! My 65 reg C-Max began activating its hill-start braking occasionally when facing downhill. It became suddenly serious on the M5 when I had to touch the brakes, and they kept on - not fully, but enough to make me pull onto the hard shoulder. Two opposite wheels were hot, and wouldn't release. Got recovered to home (expensively). Garage removed ABS pump and sent it away for repair. Came back with same fault; sent to repairers again! Three weeks off the road. Not sure if it is fully better yet. The consequences of the brakes suddenly coming on on a smart motorway could be horrible - even fatal. I shall switch off the hill-start function when I find out how! This isn't a problem to be taken lightly! If anyone knows hw to switch it off, I would be grateful!
Pete. Bridport
65 C-Max.
I’ve since had mine fixed and there are currently no issues the breaks are working perfect. The garage sent the abs pump off and it was faulty. The company repaired it and gave me a lifetime warranty so all being well it won’t happen again. HOWEVER I had the car back for 2 days after not having it for 3 weeks and then the starter motor give up and I had to have that replaced which was £450 so all in with new breaks, abs pump and a starter motor it cost me £2300 to have fixed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts