Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my new to me 57 plate cmax lost its clutch about a month ago. The pedal went right to the floor and would not come back up. Turns out the master cylinder piston got stuck in the down position and the plunger pulled out. I managed to pull the whole pedal assembly out today to replace it which was a pain in the ass but i got it done. The master is certainly stuck so its got to go. My problem is i have seen no indication of a return spring. I have the large cupped one on the bottom but nothing on the top to return it to its normal position. I have seen a few threads of people seeing the same thing but none were explained. Is it possible some assemblies do not use the return spring? I can see where it hooks in just above the master but i see nothing on the arm itself to grab. Its the metal pedal version as well so i dont think anything is broken. I can not find any reference to a spring for it anywhere. pn 3m51-7b633-lb.

If anyone can help that would be great. I am afraid to put it back together without an answer of spring or no spring. I just cant see how this returns by itself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Kit,

If you haven't come across a spring during disassembly, I would imagine that the pedal is returned by the clutch diaphragm spring, via the hydraulic system. You will have to bleed the system if you are replacing the master cylinder. I haven't got a workshop manual to hand, but my 1.6tdci which I think had MTX75(?) transmission had a concentric slave cylinder which is fitted inside the bell housing, so I'm not sure how you would get in there to bleed it? Been a while since I did the clutch! Worth looking up the proper procedure first though if it is the same box as that or has the same setup.

James

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and bought a new master to replace the broken one. You are correct, the system pressurized the return aspect so no springs.
It was a pain to install. I figure out a few trick to make it easier as I actually had to pull it all out again to find out why a line was not fitting properly. Turned out to be a missing seal on the lower line causing problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts