Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is a towbar?
Bought a towbar and the car specific wiring. I'm told I'll need a Trailer Brake Module as well then get it fitted and then coded by ford. So q1. Where does the module fit? Is it plug and play? Any tips before I start this. Thankso_O

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I did mine a few years ago now. You dont say what year though. Mine was a 2011 Grand.

The hardest part is removing the rear bumper. Clean it first or the dirt will scratch the paint as you are wrestling with it to get it off (its not too bad just nerve-racking on a new car).

There is a plug on the left hand side just above the wheel arch wrapped in foam (I think it was green) (looking from back of car). You need to check you have this as this is for the Canbus. The rest is mostly plug and play but it did take me a whole day to get it fitted. Also make sure you have a torque wrench to get the bolts up to spec. The fuse box you need to get to is also on the left side. The green plug is forward of the fuse box towards the front. Apparently not all cars have it fitted and, if not, you will need to run a canbus pair from the front (I think thats what my instructions said).

You can use the car for towing without any programming. I used mine for the first 6 months and got Ford to code it when it next went in for service. I did not notice any difference when they coded the car for it. I think it changes the stability program and maybe fog light functionality. If you are fitting 13pin then fit a split charge relay instead of the extra optional wiring module they try and sell you. It looked to give you more protection and was a cheaper option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this. Mines a 2016. I was getting worries I'd bought a bar, then the wiring then they tell me ill need a module but no idea what to do with it all. If I had the money I'd get someone to do it but it's not possible. I'll get the module and have a go. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If you have not got the dedicated module then you dont actually need it. It is possible to get a generic Canbus compatible relay module and splice into the cars wiring.

Something like eBay 283068734924 would do and is a lot cheaper than a dedicated module for the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts