Ford C-Max Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. First time poster, long time reader so please be gentle.

I have a 2013 mk2 CMAX 1.6 TDCI with 80k which has became a non-starter suddenly with no prior warning.
It’s a titanium so has a keyless ignition and will crank but not fire. Initially I thought it was fuel related as it hadn’t had a fuel filter change, so I replaced the fuel filter and bled with a hand pump but still didn’t work. I changed the air filter for good measure too. A blast of easy start gets it to fire but only lasts a few seconds at most then dies again. With constant attempts to start I’ve had to replace the battery too.
Fault code reader shows: P0341 - camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, bank 1 - range/performance problem.
With that fault code, I’ve taken it to a trusted local garage now and they have replaced “the camshaft sensor and the crank sensor” (their words) and think it might be a wiring fault and need an auto electrician”

does anyone a) think this sounds plausible from the garage and b) perhaps know what else it could be. Fault finding Labour charges are starting to cost a lot!

thank you to anyone that can perhaps help please. Lee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone. First time poster, long time reader so please be gentle.

I have a 2013 mk2 CMAX 1.6 TDCI with 80k which has became a non-starter suddenly with no prior warning.
It’s a titanium so has a keyless ignition and will crank but not fire. Initially I thought it was fuel related as it hadn’t had a fuel filter change, so I replaced the fuel filter and bled with a hand pump but still didn’t work. I changed the air filter for good measure too. A blast of easy start gets it to fire but only lasts a few seconds at most then dies again. With constant attempts to start I’ve had to replace the battery too.
Fault code reader shows: P0341 - camshaft position (CMP) sensor A, bank 1 - range/performance problem.
With that fault code, I’ve taken it to a trusted local garage now and they have replaced “the camshaft sensor and the crank sensor” (their words) and think it might be a wiring fault and need an auto electrician”

does anyone a) think this sounds plausible from the garage and b) perhaps know what else it could be. Fault finding Labour charges are starting to cost a lot!

thank you to anyone that can perhaps help please. Lee
Any crank or cam sensor fault will result in non running but engine will still crank
Usually on Fords if the tacho does not work or jump as engine is cranked there is a fault on Crank or cam VRS sensors
If the engine is connected to an oscilloscope you should pick up missing tooth on crank sensor and square waveform on cam sensor
Hope this may help

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have a 2012 plate and have the exact same issue. Garage thinks its a sensor that's causing a domino effect and now won't enable the immobiliser. Been in garage 2 weeks, and they've had to send a report to Ford to see what the error code was, as in 30 years no-one had ever seen that code before

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies Andy w and s teveb. The garage has already replaced both sensors (cam and crank) and this hasn't resolved it. They have now diagnosed a broken bottom crankshaft pulley and suggest replacing the cambelt and pully etc. I'll update you on what happens...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Thanks for the replies Andy w and s teveb. The garage has already replaced both sensors (cam and crank) and this hasn't resolved it. They have now diagnosed a broken bottom crankshaft pulley and suggest replacing the cambelt and pully etc. I'll update you on what happens...
If you end up just replacing the pulley it's worth reminding the garage that there is no woodruff key on the pulley and once you slacken the pulley bolt the timing belt will move under the valve spring pressure and if gone unnoticed will wreck your engine all timing tools have to be in place before loosening that pulley bolt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts