Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya. "New" cmax owner here. Just picked up a 2004 2.0 tdci ghia last week, 124k on clock,FSH. No major issues, but a few concerns that we've noted. I've had a gander on the forum but can't find symptoms to what we're experiencing in similar situations.
1) groaning (and vibration felt in floor) when steering wheel is turned slightly left (only)

2) pretty gnarly steering wheel wobble when driving at 30mph (this is either not happening at higher speeds or not as noticeable)

Otherwise she's a pretty smooth ride, no knocks or groans going over lumps and bumps, no EML's, tyres and alloys in seemingly good nick.

Any thoughts on what this may be?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
394 Posts
HIya, you have some interesting symptoms, I would think it's a dry joint maybe bottom ball or steering joint maybe even drive shaft joint, assuming the power steering fluid is ok?
And you could have a small bulge in a tyre causing the wobble or even a slight buckle in the wheel maybe amusing the wheels are balanced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HIya, you have some interesting symptoms, I would think it's a dry joint maybe bottom ball or steering joint maybe even drive shaft joint, assuming the power steering fluid is ok?
And you could have a small bulge in a tyre causing the wobble or even a slight buckle in the wheel maybe amusing the wheels are balanced.
That's kind of what I was thinking ref dry joints. Fluid is spot on. I had a look back on previous mot's incase the last one had some advisories hinting towards somethingbut nothing. Literally no advisories for the last 3 mots!

Hopefully the mechanic will be able to tell me good news and we haven't bought a seriously broken car lol.

Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New symptom...... Brakes grinding noticeably when braking with a slight left applied to steering wheel! 😂

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That will be brake pads and probably disk as well if grinding.
So, brakes were unrelated to the main issue. Caliper was duff. Replaced it and now the car rolls if on a hill when handbrake is taken off haha.
Steering rack needs replacing ideally. Gators have split which is one issue, but I also have a power steering fluid leak which has caused another issue. Mechanic has said its not worth the cost of replacing the rack (£800+ I think was quoted)
Just top up fluid to save the pump.

Ml

1 - 7 of 7 Posts