Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there are any knowledgeable people that can help then please get in touch :)

Summary- White smoke post 2000revs.

A year ago I was travelling at 20mph and the timing belt snapped. This had been replaced 6 months earlier and had done only 3000 miles since.

After a evaluation of what the cause was I noticed the plastic guide pulley next to the crankshaft gear had snapped and was lodged in place having snapped off. The cause of this to snap I do not know.

The engine was pulled apart, valve changed due to the damage etc, rocker arm changed, a cylinder head gasket put on, one injector replaced (as I noticed damage on this when stripping down) and new seals put on. The car would not start. i noted that on the camshafts there is a 'plastic tensioner on the chain which had a chip from the bottom. I replaced this with a second hand one. A friend of my brother in law mentioned to replace the camshafts as the lobes often move when they have been through the ordeal my car has. For peace of mind I purchased these new and fitted them.

The car not start at one point as the immobiliser light was on constantly. The ECU had to be reprogrammed. This has

EDC 16C3
HW: 0281011263
SW: 1039s04403
Transmission: Manual
Engine G8DA

EDC16C3 Software was put on there.

To note also I removed the crankshaft gear at one stage and the reluctor ring came off (without locking the crank gear in place) and the original crank gear didn't work after this, after putting the reluctor ring back on. Hence, I got a second hand crankshaft gear and fitted it (For the G8DA EN117835) also the crankshaft sensor. In the past month the car has started first time but with the white smoke being an issue. Fuel filter also been changed.

The car is a nightmare to get started post work on the engine and a primer bulb was fitted to assist. I note that on pumping from the return fuel line that there are bubbles in the fuel. But on the intake to the filter there are no bubbles and fuel goes to the injectors and the injector pump. Compression is good in all chambers. The timing has been double and triple checked on the cams, crank gear. I not that the locator hole is not so easy to find on the fuel pump gear (4 O'Clock), and have been told this doesn't matter too much.

You may have gathered I am attached and do not know when to quit with this car. I just would like her to run again.

Any ideas or suggestions would be a great help.

Works done:
-Damaged valves changed new parts
-New head gasket fitted new parts
-Rocker arm replaced new parts
-Camshafts changed (both) new parts
-Camshaft Tensioner changed
-One slightly damaged injector has been changed
-The timing belt has been changed new parts
-Crankshaft sprocket gear has been replaced (1st time replaced with gear 0805E5 and the car wouldn't start, tried it again yesterday and it doesn't attempt to start) (2nd replaced gear is G8DA EN117835- On now with the start first time and has the white smoke issue).
-Crankshaft sensor changed for new part.

The car starts first time with no smoke. When this passes 3000 ish rpm it pummels white smoke from the exhaust.

Normal solution to the problem:
Timing- Concerning the crankshaft gear sprocket. The installation was done by the locking pin being inserted in the gear box side, then fitting the replacement crankshaft gear sprocket on the woodruff key. Then aligning this to the timing hole guide on the reluctor ring (likewise the camshafts to their timing hole which should put it in sync). Camshafts have been timed to the correct markings also.

Faulty head gasket- Been replaced (twice- due to a schoolboy error)

·
Registered
538 Posts
to cause white smoke from the exhaust there is either too much fuel or coolant getting in to the combustion chamber!
are you loosing coolant when it runs? if not the chances are its over fueling or not getting enough air to burn the fuel off.
have you check to see if the turbo is working correctly?
what sort of diag equipment do you have? and over reading maf/map sensor can cause over fuelling.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
to cause white smoke from the exhaust there is either too much fuel or coolant getting in to the combustion chamber!
are you loosing coolant when it runs? if not the chances are its over fueling or not getting enough air to burn the fuel off.
have you check to see if the turbo is working correctly?
what sort of diag equipment do you have? and over reading maf/map sensor can cause over fuelling.
Thank you for getting back to me with the suggestions. Really appreciate it :)

1. I will triple check the coolant isn't being lost. I have not noticed any leaks. Worth another look.
2. Turbo- This is working correctly and fully functioning prior to the belt snapping.
3. I am using Ktag for the read and write files and gir scan for diagnostics.
The map read on ForScan is just below atmospheric which is my next investigation...

Between 1200 rpm - 3000 rpm is the most white smoke, which as you say is unburnt fuel. It will go to 5200 rpm but there is far too much smoke.
I did notice that the map reading was not normal, it doesn't seem to change when revved.

·
Registered
538 Posts
yeah the map sensor should increase when the turbo is boosting. on idle it will be a little below atmospheric and with just the ignition on and not running should be almost the same. when the vehicle wasn't starting was it still injecting fuel? because if there is an excess of fuel in the exhaust this will produce white smoke until it clears.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car was still injecting fuel when it didn't start. But I have been running it for a while now to get rid of any unburnt fuel. Now the car starts on the first turn of the key with no problems, nor any white smoke. Only when it is reved does the the white smoke emerge, not when idle.

What should I expect the map reading to be at approx 3000 revs, any idea?

Yesterday the map wouldn't change from 14psi. I noticed that the actuator vac hose had come off the vacuum solenoid.

Concerning the turbo actuator lever it goes more freely but when I try to turn the spindle it seems a little stiff and is not really spinning easily. But I can see it turn when the engine is on.

I have wedged the actuator lever down as far as it will go (gently) and it was a little better with less smoke but still not correct. Despite this I got 20 psi at about 3000 revs.

I am going to blank off egr at air intake end to see if that changes things...

Any more tips as your help above seems to have steered me on a better path with some results. I appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
538 Posts
hi when you say the turbo actuator lever what part do you mean? also are you talking about the turbo impeller shaft thats stiff? the impeller shaft should spin freely at all times.
why are you wedging the actuator lever down? is this the turbo wastegate actuator?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi crash 19999

My apologies in the delay updating. This weekend was the time to try again…

This actuator was wedged as it was stiff this is better now. With a little bit of effort th impellor spins better now.

There is still the white smoke from the exhaust. The readings at the MAP at 3500 rpm shows 22.5psi. I may be confused but I thought this should decrease when running from the atmospheric 14.7 psi when the engine is off. Thus, I was expecting a reading of 0-7 psi range at 3500 rpm. I assume that this works on a vacuum principle white the psi decreasing. After checking all the turbo hoses and air connections there are no leaks. I have changed the MAP sensor thinking this is faulty but it is not.

On checking the airflow the air comes out from the turbo and then to the intercooler. From the intercooler to the MAP sensor there is next to nothing coming through. In summary the MAP never gets any boosted air. I don’t understand why. Hence the lack of air for the diesel to burn and the white smoke. (My simple theory).

The moment of self-doubt came in where I believed I had purchased the incorrect camshafts but after triple checking they are the correct ones.

Aside from the above I can now hear a tapping noise from Cylinder No2 area (from the gearbox). This is where I left it today.

·
Registered
538 Posts
hi, so the map sensor will increase when the turbo cuts in because this creates positive pressure in the intake system.
so 22 psi is 1.5 bar pressure. so you are only boosting @ half a bar.
could you send me the reg so i can see which turbo your vehicle has?

·
Registered
12 Posts
If there are any knowledgeable people that can help then please get in touch :)

Summary- White smoke post 2000revs.

A year ago I was travelling at 20mph and the timing belt snapped. This had been replaced 6 months earlier and had done only 3000 miles since.

After a evaluation of what the cause was I noticed the plastic guide pulley next to the crankshaft gear had snapped and was lodged in place having snapped off. The cause of this to snap I do not know.

The engine was pulled apart, valve changed due to the damage etc, rocker arm changed, a cylinder head gasket put on, one injector replaced (as I noticed damage on this when stripping down) and new seals put on. The car would not start. i noted that on the camshafts there is a 'plastic tensioner on the chain which had a chip from the bottom. I replaced this with a second hand one. A friend of my brother in law mentioned to replace the camshafts as the lobes often move when they have been through the ordeal my car has. For peace of mind I purchased these new and fitted them.

The car not start at one point as the immobiliser light was on constantly. The ECU had to be reprogrammed. This has

EDC 16C3
HW: 0281011263
SW: 1039s04403
Transmission: Manual
Engine G8DA

EDC16C3 Software was put on there.

To note also I removed the crankshaft gear at one stage and the reluctor ring came off (without locking the crank gear in place) and the original crank gear didn't work after this, after putting the reluctor ring back on. Hence, I got a second hand crankshaft gear and fitted it (For the G8DA EN117835) also the crankshaft sensor. In the past month the car has started first time but with the white smoke being an issue. Fuel filter also been changed.

The car is a nightmare to get started post work on the engine and a primer bulb was fitted to assist. I note that on pumping from the return fuel line that there are bubbles in the fuel. But on the intake to the filter there are no bubbles and fuel goes to the injectors and the injector pump. Compression is good in all chambers. The timing has been double and triple checked on the cams, crank gear. I not that the locator hole is not so easy to find on the fuel pump gear (4 O'Clock), and have been told this doesn't matter too much.

You may have gathered I am attached and do not know when to quit with this car. I just would like her to run again.

Any ideas or suggestions would be a great help.

Works done:
-Damaged valves changed new parts
-New head gasket fitted new parts
-Rocker arm replaced new parts
-Camshafts changed (both) new parts
-Camshaft Tensioner changed
-One slightly damaged injector has been changed
-The timing belt has been changed new parts
-Crankshaft sprocket gear has been replaced (1st time replaced with gear 0805E5 and the car wouldn't start, tried it again yesterday and it doesn't attempt to start) (2nd replaced gear is G8DA EN117835- On now with the start first time and has the white smoke issue).
-Crankshaft sensor changed for new part.

The car starts first time with no smoke. When this passes 3000 ish rpm it pummels white smoke from the exhaust.

Normal solution to the problem:
Timing- Concerning the crankshaft gear sprocket. The installation was done by the locking pin being inserted in the gear box side, then fitting the replacement crankshaft gear sprocket on the woodruff key. Then aligning this to the timing hole guide on the reluctor ring (likewise the camshafts to their timing hole which should put it in sync). Camshafts have been timed to the correct markings also.

Faulty head gasket- Been replaced (twice- due to a schoolboy error)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts