Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 Litre TDCI Titanium with 4500 miles on the clock, bought last month from a main dealer under Ford Direct.

A couple of days ago the Engine malfunction message blipped up but went away when I restarted the engine.

I did a long motorway run and during this the Engine malfunction message came up but then the engine cut out. It re-started OK but I decided to get the AA via Ford Assistance to have a look.

The car has done over 1000 miles since I bought it so can't swap it under the "no quibble" warranty.

There were no fault codes there but during a test drive the AA patrolman was able to partly replicate the engine cutting out. We ended up with a 300 mile AA relay trip - not much fun.

He thinks its some sort of an intermittent connection fault.

Planning to take to Service Dept where I bought it3 weeks ago but I don't reckon they will find anything as the fault doesn't come up every time.

If service can't find a problem I guess its OK to go back to sales and spend some more money to P/X it as I need a reliable car for work.

Does this seem like a sensible course of action ?

Thanks

Bob

ps If you see a cheap 58 plate C max Titanium, tango red in the North East - don't buy it !!

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I think they'll first try to get you to allow them to fix it (Sale of Goods Act)
Get a courtesy car out of themwhile theydo so and get them to acknowledge that if the fault occurs in a short while after they are supposed to have fixed it that the courtesy car is available again. If after they've had several attempts to fix it then you say that you wish to have a full refund(Sale of Goods Act Again)

Don't go down the route of P/X (giving in)just yet

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Richard,

Thanks for the good advice, which I will now follow, having got myself together !

The car finally completely failed yesterday and is now at the garage for repair, the fault was described as a complicated wiring fault and Ford/AA have come up with a free hire car until the end of the week.

Regards

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Further update.

car has been at the garage since Monday. Looks like a major "PCS?" failure which means a new black box for the car. Service dept very good and have kept me updated and they say the part will cost £500 to Ford. Still surprised something like this can break after just 4500 miles on the clock !

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update,

Got the car back on Thursday from Ford Main Dealer and to be honest I think they have worked hard at determining the fault and then fixing it.

They have put in a new PCM and this seems to have cured the problem.

They think there was a complete failure of the old PCM over time but can't explain why.

Bob

·
Registered
8 Posts
Having been contracted to FMC Engineering until earlier this year, I know that the supplier of the PCM had major issues with this part. The fix was a re - programme, or re- flash was the supplier's term. All known faulty PCM's were supposedly traced & repaired but it sounds like some PCM's were missed!!! I think this is why Ford went out oftheir way to repair your C max at their cost.

Dav.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dav,

Thanks for the info.

The car has been fine since they fixed it.

I think that the dealers spent so much time on it because Ford wanted them to check out the wiring in detail - probably to avoid the cost of fixinmg the part.

Dealers said that they had changed the PCM and sent it back to Ford.

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts