Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, could someone tell me exactly the process of the system for cold start, i know the glow plugs but are there temperature sensors/ relays ect basically every switch/ sensor ect from start button to glow plugs because my 2,0 powershift knocks and rattles terrible on a cold ie below 4c start unless i give it throttle when it fires which is not good on cold engine. Ford diagnostic shows no fault codes on glow plug circuit. At ambient temps it is fine so i suspect a temp or airflow sensor but i am getting desperate for ideas, thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
This is from the manual in case you dont have one. Note Turning on the ignition and then pressing the starter after a pause.
Capture 1.PNG
Capture 2.PNG

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, could someone tell me exactly the process of the system for cold start, i know the glow plugs but are there temperature sensors/ relays ect basically every switch/ sensor ect from start button to glow plugs because my 2,0 powershift knocks and rattles terrible on a cold ie below 4c start unless i give it throttle when it fires which is not good on cold engine. Ford diagnostic shows no fault codes on glow plug circuit. At ambient temps it is fine so i suspect a temp or airflow sensor but i am getting desperate for ideas, thanks.
Thanks for reply Gerald, depending how cold i sometimes get the "start pending" after pushing button and sometimes it cranks and fires up but really knocky and rattles for about 5secs. I am convinced that something is not working but not showing a code but i would like to know how many sensors ect between start button and glow plugs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Voyager thats pritty typical for cold weather starts in a diesel.

The start stop button will only cycle the glow plugs once, and when the engine starts it will cough and splutter for a few seconds untill it gets the revs up a bit.

I have a key start so i can cycle the ingnition twice to get the glow plugs nice and hot, then when it starts it jumps straight to idle with no issues at all.

On cold mornings try cycling the ignition

·
Registered
312 Posts
What do you mean by cycling the glow plugs please. On a push button start you can turn the ignition on wait and then start as with a key start.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had a car with similar symptoms and there was 2 glow plugs not working, the ford diag don't not check individual glow plugs only the circuit I would change the glow plugs personally.
If your on a budget you can check them either with a ohms meter or simply connect them to a battery with jump leads and see if they glow red after a few seconds, do remember they get very very hot so handle with care.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts