Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, have just bought 08 1.6tdci titanium with sport x pack, lovely car but only dissapointment is the amount of tyre/road noise. is this common and is it just these upgraded wheels with low profile tyres. are the ordinary standard models with normal wheels the same. thanks from new member.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ive got some normal 16's on mine but the only annoying noise is wind resistance coming from those stupid boxy un-aerodynamic wing-mirrors

I have upgraded tyre size before on a previous car, went from 16" to 18" with low profile, and the road noise increased ten fold! You may also find the steering will be affected by the camber of the road a lot more too.

- Matt

·
Registered
280 Posts
And the extra width of the tyre can cause a bit more 'tram-lining' when travelling on the dual carriage and motorways.

i'd still like 17 or 18's onours, especially with a 30mm drop from uprated srpings and dampers, but as its the wifes car she isn't having any of it....

I'll keep working on that though.......

Even telling her she'd be the 'coolest' mum in the school carpark doesn't work.

Well withour son and his mates (all 9 years old and into fast cars already)
it's only gonna be a matter of time... Edited by: R7BKR

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
note with the 18" tyres you have to have the rack travel limiters so that the tyres don't rub on the insides so you need a field toturn round in!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have exactly the same set up and tyre noise is louder. Before the C max I had 2 S maxes, the first had 16" wheels and the second 18" and you could tell the difference.

For my next car I want either 16" or 17" wheels.

Regards

Berryr99

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have the sports pack with the 18 inch alloys and low profile tyres and they make a noticable amount of tyre noise compared with 16 or even 17 inch wheels.
i have also noticed the tram lining issue which was mentioned above, i find that changing the steering setting from comfort to sport helps because it gives the steering more weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't say the sport setting adds more weight to the steering, just the opposite infact. Care must be taken when corneringas any bump hit can cause the wheel to move significantly due to the added feedback provided. Any car with 225 width tyres will suffer to some extent from tram lining, the ammount will depend on the tyres fitted and how worn they are. I personally have no problem with tyre noise, a DAB radio & Planet Rock means it's never been an issue!

·
Registered
86 Posts
so your saying that changing the steering from comfort or standard to sport doens't make the steering feel heavier?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts