Ford C-Max Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am looking to fit a 12v power supply socket in the boot. I see that there is a push out for the socket and I have enquired with ford as to the cost of parts. All they can quote me is approx £4 for the socket. However there does not apear to be any additional wireing kit to connect it.

I know that in my mondeo there is a small connector block in the boot space behind one of the pannels. Can someone tell me if there any additional wireing kit needed (if so mabey the part number as well) or is the wire already there.

Haggis

·
Registered
280 Posts
What spec level is your car?

I have a 2006 Ghia andI have THREE 12v sockets in mine.

One by the gear stick, one on the back of the centre console and one in the boot.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Snap!
I know the boot one is always live as I use that for the cooler box that also has a heat function (handy for the McD run!!).

As for the original question, no idea if the wiring is there and the TIS disc brings nothing up either.

·
Registered
280 Posts
lawe said:
Snap!
I know the boot one is always live as I use that for the cooler box that also has a heat function (handy for the McD run!!).

As for the original question, no idea if the wiring is there and the TIS disc brings nothing up either.
Mine are all live, because I run SatNav from the front, The portable DVD (or kids games consoles) from the middle one and I use a small air compressor (pumping up footballs and stuff) from the one in the boot...

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I think the rear feed is the one they use for the perm live feed for the 12S tow socket so possibly not a special loom more just a connector

·
Registered
9 Posts
Old thread resurrection alert! Newbie alert!

I'll shortly take delivery of my first ever Ford, a 2004 1.8 LX C-Max. Had been looking for a Zetec but got a very tidy LX at the right price and couldn't pass it by!

Most of the missing "Zetec" features don't bother me, but I'd like to fit and wire up a 12v socket in the boot. Have searched around the forum and haven't found a definitive answer to whether or not the car will have a redundant wire and/or connector for a 12S caravan socket hiding behind the trim somewhere.

When I get the car home I'll have a poke around, but maybe someone here has done it and can point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Our LX without the rear socket was wired with a 12S caravan socket so I suspect the feed in the wiring loomis there for all

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Richard. Is the supply on the right hand side, near where the blank for the socket is?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Both (Only two on my Zetec) 12v sockets are supplied from the same fuse in the passenger footwell, details are in your handbook, but if you don't have one its fuse 109 and it's a 20A fuse (for my 2008 model at any rate) . They are both permanently live as I found out when I dropped a 5p into the one next to the handbrake!I was hoping to find out what colour the wire was from the diagrams in my Haynes bible but it's obviously not considered important enough! If you find a spare wire which goes dead when fuse 109 is pulled, that's the one! If it's a single feed wire you'll need to find an earth point as well.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
From the wiring diagrams fro the 2003¼ MY
Fuse f39 20A feed
Lighter socket via OG/ YE
Power Point 1 via OG / GN

Fuse f79 15A
Feeds Power Point 2 via OG

OG~Orange, GN~ Green, YE~Yellow (Probably)
Fuses in CJB

·
Registered
9 Posts
Budgie, Richard,

Thank you gentlemen! I'll have a poke after I pick the car up tomorrow evening. There's no handbook with it but I'm watching one on eBay, and a Haynes manual is in the post already.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 2006 LX which dont have a socket in the boot, but when investing a leak getting into the boot I took the panels off and found the cabling taped up to the loom. I then got a multimeter and found that there is power at the connector. So on my C-Max it should be a case of fitting the connector and away we go
The cable is by the blanking plate for the socket but you may have to take the panel off to remove the tape holding it to the loom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, months after the above thread, I've got around to fitting my 12v socket in the boot. Went well, found the green/orange wire with a female spade connector taped up to the loom, waiting for me to connect in. The only problem is that it's giving 6.4V (engine off) and 7.3V (engine running). So my 12V equipment doesn't work.

The main cigarette lighter (supposed to be on the same circuit) gives a healthy 12.5 volts, so I'm left looking for a reason for the voltage drop.

Any ideas? It's not a problem on the earth side - I've tested it with several good earths and all get the same reading.

The main cigarette lighter socket (in the centre console) is permanently live, but the green/orange wire in the boot only comes on to its 6.4V with the ignition at position "2". Is this wire fed from a different fuse?

Any advice welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Further to the above, I've realised the rear socket is on Fuse 79 (15A) - there's a healthy 12.5v at the fusebox. Is there a loom connector I could check to track down the voltage drop?

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
Have you tried both sides of the fuse in case the terminals are the problem
The other check is then resistance between the non voltage side of the link at the fuse and the connector at the back

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Richard,

Yes, both sides of the fuse are showing 12.5V. Also tried swapping for a different 15A fuse and substituting a mini-fuse adapter for the multimeter. Didn't try probing the back of the fuse terminal though, so a duff terminal is a possibility. Need to get myself some test leads long enough to reach from the footwell to the boot and test the resistance as you suggest.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Seems strange! A circuit will usually give 12 v (or battery/alternator voltage) until it has load on it, at which point, any dirty/dry high resistance joints (connectors) will cause the volts to drop when the current starts to flow. The higher the current, the greater the drop. I've never heard of one giving a lower voltage in a no load state before. Very odd! No wonder you're puzzled!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep Budgie, it's a strange one. If the car didn't have a power supply behind the panel, I'd have thought nothing of running a new fused feed from the front of the car. Because it's supposed to have 12V sitting 6 inches away from the socket, I'm a bit cheesed off!

Do you know if the loom has any plug-in connectors between the passenger fuse box and the rear end? I have a 2004 TIS CD which doesn't appear to work on my 64 bit Windows 7 machine so I don't have access to decent wiring diagrams at the minute. Is there any other circuit that piggy-backs on Fuse 79? When I think about it, when I was testing the circuits earlier the radio was on the whole time... The car has no towbar, and no sign of one ever being fitted before.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts